• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Bay - Nov 24 - Personal Best

Wind: E @ 10 then NE @ 15-20
    Tide: Good Outgoing
    Water Temp: 70 deg F
    Water Clarity: Stained

Waded some flats in East Bay yesterday morning with a friend of mine. We were in the water by 6:45a, greeted by overcast skies, a light drizzle, and an approaching front.

I started throwing a Day-Glow Corky Fat Boy and he threw a chartreuse Catch 2000. By the third cast, he was hooked up with a solid 19" trout.

After another 20-30 minutes of fan casting in the area without a bite, I switched to a pink/silver Catch 2000 and made my way down the shoreline. After walking about 50 yards, I saw some bait flip and immediately got a hit. I set the hook and fought the fish for a bit before it came off... felt solid... at least 20"+.

The next cast, I slowed down and concentrated on my presentation... twitch, pause, twitch, pause, twitch, pau... "THUMP". This time I didn't rush my hookset. Similar to a top water strike, I waited to set the hook until I felt the weight of the fish.

When I did set the hook, she came to the surface, swirled, and took off running. I've caught my share of 23-25" trout but this one was different. My rod tip danced with the familiar "trout" head shake but I had my doubts because it had the strength of a red.

The next 5 minutes seemed like an eternity. After several runs, I finally got a chance to see her... it was a trout... a big trout.

I eased her in the net and called my buddy over.

I'm 6'5" and I was barely able to get my hand around this hefty fish. I held her up to the rod ruler and she measured 28".... beating my personal best by 1.5".

As luck would have it, I left my waterproof camera in the boat and so did my friend. Instead of taking a chance of killing the fish, we took one more look and let her go.

We didn't get another bite on that flat. We chased birds until the front arrived at 10a then fished some protected water till noon. Finished the day with a nice box of 16-20" trout and a 25" red but that pales in comparison to the way my morning started.

Tight lines....

Congrats on the personal best Corey. I know you have been wading your arse off looking for that big girl LOL. And another big congrats on the release!!

AQUA PIMP
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Great report & catch!! Congratulations!
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Good job on the PB!! I'm still waiting on something over 25".
        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Great Job!! Thanks for the report!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Man nice fish, congratulation on the PB.
            I love Catch 2000's especially the Jr.s. They'll cast a mile into the wind.....
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Great going!! Congrats to you!! fantastic report!!!!!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

NICE! Good going out there and congrats on the release. I am still waiting for that monster!
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Here was his last personal best Trout that was just shy of 27". Caught on a She Dog at the San Luis Pass

AQUA PIMP
                  Attached Files
                  AQUA PIMP......
                  "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Grats.
                    A day forever etched in memory.

Comment

Now that is a great story, and congratulations!
                      Scott
                      "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Way To Go!!! Nice Catch..
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

man i remember that moment like it was yesterday........WTG........i had no camera too.
                          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Great read!!
                            Many Thanks and Congrat on the PB...........

wd

Comment

Good report & good fish, congrats.
                              Just mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. If it matters you better mind!

Comment

Working...
                              X