25th NOV 09 Jones lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25th NOV 09 Jones lake

WOW, I got a day off work before the holiday weekend. I tried to make the best of it, up and early, wanting to go, but I waited till the wife went to work and all was good. So I did not get that early start but still I was out and having fun before lunch time!

Since I was off to a late start and the boat sat in the garage for awhile I thought I would put the muffs on the lower unit and start the engine up and let it run for a while. I don't want to be that person at the ramp cranking, cranking, cranking and looking up at several people wanting to launch the boat. Off to the bay I go from there.

The drive on 45 South was great, everyone else was at work and I managed to pick up a pint of friskies at Fatboys with no problem. They were even open on Thanksgiving but I could not post up at the time because once I got off the water I had been sick with some stomach virues, which explains the late report.

From Fatboys to Louis to launch the boat. Wind must have been pushing from around 10-15 mph or better from the N! Once past the railroad tracks and towards the open lake I thought I would not make it a rough trip because further out it was pretty tough. So with the strong outgoing tide I kept it up close to the mouth of the bayou to the lake.

From the N marsh area to along the west shore line I make a few drifts that were too productive with the shrimp. I was using a popping cork with an 18 in leader line on a #4 hook. The game was on with my first drift picking up a solid trout to box. Then two slot reds to follow. Got to a point where it was getting a little to rough and if the fish were in closer to the bayou than that is where I was going to continue to fish.

I made 4 more drifts. I continued to catch rat reds from 12-18" and around 5 trout right at the 15" mark to let go for another day. On those 4 other drifts I boxed two more trout at 15.5" and had one red to go for the limit of reds.

I got to a spot in one of the drifts where the water was just right and the cork was about 20ft away. My shrimp popped out of the water just before I made a pop on my cork so I held up. A submarine of a red showed up and snapped at my shrimp. I shouted "GET IT!, GET IT!" and two more swirrels and snaps and now 10ft from the boat she left, lol.

From that point on I was only catching undersized fish and was going threw the shrimp about every cast. Then it happend. On my furthest cast my cork went down like no tomorrow and my rod bent over instantly. RED on for sure. Drag ripping fun and did not want anything to do with my boat. Finally after a few good rips of drag and she gave in.

I spent less than two hours out on the water just fishing the mouth of highlands bayou. I was really hoping to fish TODAY, blackfriday but just got over whatever crap that came over me. But I did get a few pics of the past two days. Since I did not have any FWE stuff my last pic I made sure I had a few for this one.

Water was 60.5 degrees
    Green to some sand streaks
    Turning rough with outgoing tide and off the water at 11 am.

First pic is a Happy Thanksgiving Day pic,

Redfish limit,

Reds and trout,

Way to go Kevin I'm glad to see you got out and hammered some fish.. Thanks for the report..
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great job! I love the placement of FWE gear
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great job!! Thanks for the detailed report!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Way to go Kevin....Glad to see you getting some time on the water finally!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Great report

Comment

1st, glad your over whatever upset the tummy..
              and
              a solid detailed report, wish I could have been there with you! Dam the work!!

I'm off next Thursday and needing to Wet my line, take a vac day and let's go hit it!! My buddy the retired Fireman may tag along!

Thanks,
              wd

Comment

Working...
              X