Top Dog Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Dog Jr.

Being the rookie I am, I just bought my first top water bait to try in West Bay. I got a Top Dog Jr. in Chrome with a white belly and red eyes/ treble hooks. Watching videos on Youtube is seems a lot of fishermen are particular about the type of knot tied to properly "walk the dog". How important do you all think this is? Also, is a swivel inappropriate for this type of bait? Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

There are as many opinions on knots and such as there are members on this board. I'll offer my opinion. I would avoid using a swivel. The extra weight will mess up the action of the topwater. I would rely on a knot you have confidence in tying and that has a loop. I use the 'canoe knot' for all my leader to bait terminations. There are plenty of good knots. The canoe is easy for me to tie and it hasn't failed me yet. Hope that helps.

"Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

No swivel and I use the mirrolure loop knot. I can tie it in the dark. Find one of the many loop knots and get good at it.

Comment

Yep....No swivel and loop knot. I use the surgeons loop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I use to use a polymer loop knot . I fished all day , 12 hours and midway line twist would necessitate I change to a spool with new line . Then Tony clips came along .. Swivel with quick lure change capability . That's all I use and love them . Yeah , a little added weight and a little black thing on the nose . I don't think it makes a difference especially with the added benefits . Weight is minor and if a fish will eat a lure with 3 treble hooks dangling off it , a bit of nose metal isn't noticed . I don't think it hampers catching fish . You still have a metal loop for lure action .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

X2 on the Palomar knot. I use it on most lures. That canoe knot does look pretty interesting though...

What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
              No swivel and I use the mirrolure loop knot. I can tie it in the dark. Find one of the many loop knots and get good at it.
              Or a speed clip
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

If using braid, look in the internet for Rapala knot. If using mono the ones mentioned are good. Matter of preference. Lord Bless.
                robert
                And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Is the loop knot needed just for better/ more natural looking movement of the lure? And thank you all for the knot suggestions.

Comment

Exactly

sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Does a loop knot make a difference? Probably only to the one tying it. I can see no reason with braid that a knot would make any difference, as long as it's a good knot. It is impossible to prove.
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                        Does a loop knot make a difference? Probably only to the one tying it. I can see no reason with braid that a knot would make any difference, as long as it's a good knot. It is impossible to prove.
                        It Is impossible to prove but why not use anything that simple to improve your chances? If it makes ypu more confident, it will help you catch fish.

sigpic

Comment

That's what I said, it only makes a difference to the one tying it.
                          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Very true Skip and Kenny. if you don't have confidence, you won't catch anything. Lord Bless.
                            robert
                            And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

It's a pain retying if you change lures much . Then I had a problem with line twist . Tony Clips ... Swivel with quick lure change abilities .
                              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                              X