correct rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct rod

I have fished with live bait forever but I'm getting into lures and wonder what action is best for soft plastics and also topwaters.

You'll get a lot of answers to this first post for sure. I like a med-lite 7' baitcaster rod thats fast with a whippy tip for soft plastic and thrown topwaters with the same on occasion. I also like a 6'-9" of the same style for tops and the less length helps when wading with tops on working a heavier bait.
    Just mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. If it matters you better mind!

Comment

I like under 7' light medium action baitcaster I could have put a x2 under specklereds post lol
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

stiffer rod for flounder and most of the time 7ft medium with action on tip for everthing else....what are you fishing from and for?
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I would say a medium/medium lite action 6'6 rod is a great setup for an all around wading rod. Maybe bump it up to a 6'9 or 7' if your fishing from the boat.

Comment

6'6" spiral stix!!

Comment

Kind of like everyone said I think the first thing that is important to figure out is what kind of fishing you will be doing...I prefer different rods for different circumstances so this is kind of tough question. For an all purpose red/trout/flounder I would say a 6.5 medium light action. If I were going to throw anything 3/4 or heavier I would go medium. Since I do all sorts of fishing I have collected several rods over the years, each having a purpose.

My freshwater rods are all medium action as I throw plastic and want to feel every single thump to tell if it is fish or not.

Now, all that being said, I have ordered three custom rods from Charlies Custom Rods for friends and plan on getting another for myself. Like most anything, you get what you pay for. You go extra cheap, that's what you get. You spend good money on a rod and you get that back...
              sigpic

Comment

im a big kistler fan, i like their carbon steel 6'5 to 7'

Comment

6'6" - 6'9" Medium light, fast tip for both.
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by jrcaruso09 View Post
                    im a big kistler fan, i like their carbon steel 6'5 to 7'
                    whoops i said 6'5, meant 6.5 (6'6") my bad

Comment

I'm looking at a Laguna custom made I love fishing for reds and specks fish from my boat but do a lot of wading with bro-law (ducksandfish)thanks for advice before i order my first custom rod

Comment

Hey scooter,the pm was not helpful?Let's hear some pro's and cons on the Laguna's and Waterloo's fellows.Maybe you can order me one too,forChristmas.Christopher.

Comment

Check out the Billy Stix custom rods. I have a 7' medium action and it rocks! You have to get use to the sprial rod, but once you do I do not think I will go back to any other rod.
                          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by jrcaruso09 View Post
                            whoops i said 6'5, meant 6.5 (6'6") my bad
                            I have six Kistlers. My go to is a 6' 5" medium light Helium LTA.
                            The medium Helium II LTX with a semi-fast tip is for throwing bigger baits.
                            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Zebco 33 is what JT uses-with a red/white bobber and "Snoopy" logo-he says it helps him find lost anchors also!!

On a real answer-med. light 6'6" to 7'. Waterloo, Kistler, Laguna-all excellent rods. BillyStix spiral, Charlie's Custom-all 1st class and can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck choosing!!
                              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X