depth finder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depth finder question

I put a lowrance depth finder on my boat. When I am in freshwater it works up to about 25mph. When I am in saltwater it only works to about 8mph then loses bottom. Has anybody else noticed this? Is it common?

were's the transducer mounted because i had problem like your talking about on my 19 ft allweld.is yours tunnell hull?
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

its not a tunnel hull. the transducer is on the middle right of the transom. right next to the float box. i did not want to put it on the back of the float box, afraid it would break off, already lost one that way

Comment

I had a transom mount at first with my big Wellcaft and after beating and banging offshore with it I was always having to tighten it up to read right. I had a buddy convince me to put a shoot-thru-hull transducer and it would read bottom and fish at 50mph. You can't use one on an aluminum boat but, if it is fiberglass, I'd look into one.
        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

i bought an alumaducer. it was supposed to be able to shoot thru the hull but turned out to be a piece of junk. using the factory transom mount now. but the main question i was getting at is if anybody notices a difference between the depth finder in salt and fresh?

Comment

Originally posted by ALLWELD View Post
            i bought an alumaducer. it was supposed to be able to shoot thru the hull but turned out to be a piece of junk. using the factory transom mount now. but the main question i was getting at is if anybody notices a difference between the depth finder in salt and fresh?
            I've never fished on a boat in fresh water so I can't help you with this one.
            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Shouldn't be any difference between fresh/saltwater-should work the same in both-mine does (Lowrance). If it's a Hummingbird, my old Hummingbirds never worked worth a shoot after going to plane speed-the ones I had had a hockey puck (almost) transducer design and were not hydrodynamic at all which caused bubbles and messed up signal (Lowrance's transducers are almost bullet shaped and I rarely ever do not get a reading). Sounds like it may be bubbles causing signal/reading disruption. Maybe try moving away from motor or where turbulence is happening-or perhaps get a mounting bracket to offset it from where it is and remount in a spot with least turbulence? Best to you and hope this helps a little.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLWELD View Post
                its not a tunnel hull. the transducer is on the middle right of the transom. right next to the float box. i did not want to put it on the back of the float box, afraid it would break off, already lost one that way
                mine was mounted on the back of the float box but i had a fab. guy make a mount gaurd to protect it.still knocked the thing smooth off one night.luckly i was able to remount it.
                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

appreciate the help guys. the way the back of the boat is i dont have many options on mounting. might have to deal with it

Comment

Working...
                  X