Sabine lake 6-20-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabine lake 6-20-2014

Wind predictions Friday for Galveston were to abate somewhat after a steady diet of south 10-15 mph with gusts . But , I was suspicious of that coming to pass . Forecast for Port Arthur was " SE light wind increasing to 5-10 mph in the afternoon " . That's what I want . My past Sabine partner WALKINWADER could not go and SISCO KID was boarding the tug , so I went alone . I launch on the Louisiana side with a Louisiana fishing license to access the bayous and for the generous size and number limits . The crummy ramp had a foot of sargassum weed piled on each side but the lake was not so affected . I waded Blue Buck Point with lots of bait with an incoming tide but only had one short strike from something , maybe a flounder . I started with a Topwater then switched to crazy croakers , peanuts , corkys , and fat boys for the rest of the day except when flounder fishing . I moved up the shore to the first little bayou and waded towards the mouth hopping a 4 inch chartreuse GULP on the bottom for flounder . Before reaching the mouth I had netted 2 flounder and lost 2 . Inside the mouth I netted another and lost one . I watched 2 guys troll the opposite bank hammering the flounder . Later back at the ramp one introduced himself . They were from Lafayette . They caught 20 flounder and kept 15 by crawling a white or chartreuse Gulp on a 1/8 ounce jighead from the bank back to their boat . After watching them land flounder after flounder , I slogged back to my boat and dropped the trolling motor and tried to do my best I impersonation of them . I power poled down at the other side of the mouth to keep out of their way and boated a flounder and lost one . The outflow was weakening and the 2 Lafayette guys left . I trolled their bank and got my 5 th and last flounder ... They only left one , HAR ! Mine were not big , 2 thirteen , 1 fourteen and a half , 1 sixteen , 1 seventeen inch . I worked up the bayou and lost a nice 20-22 inch flounder . The water flow became nill and off color so I looked at a couple more bayous but they were the same . So , I cruised out into the lake looking for working gulls but it all looked dead ... about the same way I felt by 2 PM after awaking at 2:30 AM that morning . After bobbing around out there I started slowly back to the ramp and , lo , 3 gulls started working not far away . Before they broke up I pulled out 2 seventeen inch trout and 3 dink throw backs on a garish orange , gold , white corky . I expectedly bobbed around some more looking for more birds , drifted what appeared to be a slick , and cruised back to the ramp leaving at 4:30 pm . It was strange arriving home and it still being daylight .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Nice report Plugger.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks for the report and that's Sabine Lake...all good.

Comment

Wtg, plugger!

Comment

Those trout were females with roe . They had small white shrimp in their stomachs . I had gotten some Yozuri hard plastic shrimp imitations for fishing under birds I should have had tied on . When wading , small shad were abundant .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I need to find my camera .

Comment

Sweet.
              Nice detailed report and some good eating.
              Glad you got on them Henry.

Comment

Wtg Buddy, I wish I could have gone, but my dentist would give me a get out of work Pass lol

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job! Birds should be working from mid-bay North around this time.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by S-troop View Post
                    Good job! Birds should be working from mid-bay North around this time.

Sent from my iPhone
                    Thank you ! Any input would be appreciated . I believe you had said you are familiar with Sabine fishing . I have never ventured to the north end .

Comment

Working...
                    X