diversionary canal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diversionary canal?

the secret is out........i'm ignorant to what everyone calls a "diversionary canal". is it the canal that comes from bayou vista over by harbour walk or is it the canal that comes in jones bay west of the railroad tracks? are there more?

i've read posts that say "the" diversionary canal.

be gentle. remember that i'm a newbie

soon i will have learned the west bay jargon and will start posting my own fishing reports to dazzle all of you with my fishing abilities

again, please remember to take it easy on the "kid" this time!!

i'm your student and i'm easy to teach.

thanks in advance

-KID-

Diversionary Canal dumps into West Bay on the North side just East of Harbor Walk follow it and fish it.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
      Diversionary Canal dumps into West Bay on the North side just East of Harbor Walk follow it and fish it.
      What he said and when you go in, about 3/4's to the bridge there's another canal that goes to your right. Go down there about 1/2 mile and you'll come to a 4 way. Figure out which way the current is running and anchor to where your boat is drifting towards the middle of the 4 way and cast in all directions until you find where the fish are........it's produces 80% of the time for me.

Edit........be careful on the North side of the 4 way, there's a 2" pipe that runs along the bottom that is VERY sticky.
      Last edited by 007; December 3, 2009, 12:37 PM.
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

thanks!

can't wait to get back on the water and give it a shot. i promise to post pics when i do.

thanks again, you are too kind.

-KID-

Comment

Hey you guys are giving away my secrets!!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
            What he said and when you go in, about 3/4's to the bridge there's another canal that goes to your right. Go down there about 1/2 mile and you'll come to a 4 way. Figure out which way the current is running and anchor to where your boat is drifting towards the middle of the 4 way and cast in all directions until you find where the fish are........it's produces 80% of the time for me.

Edit........be careful on the North side of the 4 way, there's a 2" pipe that runs along the bottom that is VERY sticky.
            If you draft shallow enough and the tide is moving in you can take a right at the 4 way and go down until it makes a hard left. Right at the turn is really good on an incoming tide. Don't go much past the turn though because it gets really shallow really fast when it opens into the flat. The canal is a great sheltered spot in the winter when the north wind is howling and you're dying to get on the water. -- 007 I know you draft shallow enough -- meant this for the KID.--
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
              If you draft shallow enough and the tide is moving in you can take a right at the 4 way and go down until it makes a hard left. Right at the turn is really good on an incoming tide. Don't go much past the turn though because it gets really shallow really fast when it opens into the flat. The canal is a great sheltered spot in the winter when the north wind is howling and you're dying to get on the water. -- 007 I know you draft shallow enough -- meant this for the KID.--
              There are some good reds in the flat also when the tide is high enough to get in there or if you can float in 6".
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
                There are some good reds in the flat also when the tide is high enough to get in there or if you can float in 6".
                There you go giving up the secrets again!!

Luckily I can float in about 5" but my trolling motor likes about 7". I have been stuck back there not paying attention to the tide and had to get out and pull before though. That really sucked!
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I bet a power pole would be nice in a situation like that

Comment

THE TIKI KID- they are giving you good stuff there, appreciate that. If you have a kayak, no worries about getting too shallow.
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

good info. thanks. i've wondered the same thing and drive by the canal a couple of times a week and think about checking it out. do you fish it with arties or is it best to soak bait?
                      michelle

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                        THE TIKI KID- they are giving you good stuff there, appreciate that. If you have a kayak, no worries about getting too shallow.

no kayak for me. not yet anyway.

i DO appreciate the info. i want to thank all of you for giving me some tips. i will reciprocate as soon as i can find a spot to share.

thanks to all and CHEERS!

Comment

I'm not normally a bait soaker unless I have my 4 year old in the boat but I guess I'd have to say it's pretty good for both. There are some really good spots that dump on an outgoing tide (the pipes by the harborwalk bridge and the 4 way that 007 was talking about are good ones) that you can anchor at and kill em on live. I spend a lot of time chasing reds around the grass and oysters that line the sides of the canal with soft plastics and spinners. My neighbors have started catching some nice sized trout since the weather has cooled off -- saw pics today of a 25" and a 26" that they caught fishing in the lights off their dock. Pretty sure they were using live. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                          X