TTF Gigging Light SUX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TTF Gigging Light SUX

I have several gigging lights I purchased at Academy and went there on Friday to pick another one up. I was taking a buddy gigging for the first time with my son and I. Went to Academy and picked him up a TTF light.

We ended up at the pass right at dark and started looking around for some flatties. About ten minutes into the walk the new TTF light goes out, I walk over thinking there might be a connection problem. NO the nard thing is full of water and that light is done for the rest of the night.

My son and I switch off lights so by buddy can stick some. Well that was a pain in the butt so after about two hours we each stick one and call it a night and head back to Houston.

That was was a wasted trip for me but they atleast they had an ok time, but not what I was looking for.

I could've told ya that. I had one that did that, my friend's did the same. The one from O&H is much better build quality maybe not more ergonomic (comfortable) but definittely better quality.

Comment

I had one of those round lights with aluminum pole that I bought Friday afternoon. I tested it at the house with no problem, but 25 ft from the boat it went out. Tested it on the starting battery thinking my battery might of been bad, but it was still shot.
      Luckily, I had a decent flashlight and the flounder were up tight to the shore so the trip wasn't in vane....ended the night with 5 that I stuck within 3 ft from the shoreline.
      Don't be a Nancy!
      If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I will be making my own and offering them at cost here on the website... Instead of $40 should be around $15 I will guarantee my product
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
          I will be making my own and offering them at cost here on the website... Instead of $40 should be around $15 I will guarantee my product
          I made one using a 3" pvc cleanout tee andit worked well until I forgot to screw the back cap on. It used a sealed auto utility light which fit perfectly in the 3" drain tee. Then siliconed it in place.
          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Originally posted by The Savage Nation View Post
            I could've told ya that. I had one that did that, my friend's did the same. The one from O&H is much better build quality maybe not more ergonomic (comfortable) but definittely better quality.

Anyone have the contact number for O&H?

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              Anyone have the contact number for O&H?
              I did, but I returned it back to Academy today. They're located in Baton Rouge if that helps. That was the one that smoked on me 25 ft and after 5 mnutes out of the boat. Seems every product has some reliabilty issues.
              I will say, I've owned 2 of their lights over the years and never had a problem, other than they keep dissappearing on me.
              Last edited by FlatoutFishin; October 27, 2008, 09:17 PM.
              Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Crappieman had an issue with one of there lights... Think the bulb burned out and he bought a new bulb at the local autoparts store for 5.99 and some silcone and replaced and resealed it...

When removing one from the truck the other night Beach Bum Bailey heard a crack... Becareful when handling them, they aren't a walking stick (use your gig for that)

IF I was to build one it would be a bit longer for a 6' + person like myself and an on & off switch while walking across a sand bar or something...

Comment

Also, you can return your lights to Academy if they fail... I have done this saying it was faulty etc.

Comment

yah the on/off switch is awesome idea need to incorporate that soon and maybe add 6-8" of wire to the end

Comment

Originally posted by The Savage Nation View Post
                      yah the on/off switch is awesome idea need to incorporate that soon and maybe add 6-8" of wire to the end
                      I added 3ft of wire but didn't have an on/off switch. Mine, or mine did, hook up to a 2lb battery in a backpack. I don't think my bulb burned out on it because the filament looked intact, but I did see smoking inside the lense which then turned blue. I just assumed it was like an oil coating burning off, but now I believe it was something else that wasn't connected right.
                      Anyway, they're out at the Academy in Webster/League City but are expecting some soon.
                      Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

My step son replaced the stock 30wt bulb and installed a 50wt and runs 2 deer feeder batterys in serries. He also has a in-line on/off switch. It is much brighter than the stocker but the 2 batterys are to heavy for me in a all night grind.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                        Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

If your dragging that much weight might as well rig up a floating cooler with a deep cycle and run a couple lights off it all night.

Comment

Working...
                          X