jetty fishin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetty fishin

my step dad went out today for 4 hours and got a couple small specs and a red thats it he wants to know how to catch at the jetties he is an very impasient fisherman.he wants to know how to find fish with bait. i only use lures so yea.could you help thanks.
    Itching To Be Fishing!

I've never fished the jetties in December. It's a hot spot for trout in the summer months though.

Comment

yea

i know but when i go i can pull all kinds of fish even in the winter its my step dad who wants to know
      Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

I am no expert by any means but if you are catching fish on artificial and he is using live bait under a popping cork or even live bait fished on the bottom, he may just need to try different depths and adjust and keep adjusting till he finds the right depth.
        Good luck.

Comment

k i have told him that he's all aboat dead bait or live shrimp under the corks i make his leaders for fun and when i go with him i get 'im the fish
          Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

The jetties have very strong currents. There is always a lot of tidal flow around the area. Using a heavier sinker will allow you to drop down to the bottom where the big fish are found.

During February - April take some big tackle and 4 oz weights and drop down shrimp or crab and you'll get a nice big ugly... I wouldn't bother keeping them more of a photo fish. They get upwards of 70lbs!

August- October you'll find the big bull reds running

April - July free line shrimp for Spanish mackerel use tie-able wire leader so you don't have so many break offs.

Dropping down for whiting or popping cork can result in some nice sheepshead and even an occasional ling are caught always Channel side of the Jetty usually 1-2 / year.

Good luck!
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

sweet i like big surf spoons and mirolures
              Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Try a small egg sinker (1/4-1/2 ounce) above a swivel, 20# test leader, #8 treble (Mustad) or a #1 Flounder hook (they are offset, not a J hook) with a nice lively shrimp and look for a "splash over" on the rocks, pull up on protected side of splashover and toss into rocks (actually maybe 5 feet from rocks on surface), slowly bouncing the weight down, when you feel any bump/pull, set it. That's how I fish the Jetties. Like Coe said-channel side-either north or south-depending on waves/wind. Also sometimes on outside by "structure".
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I love fishing with lures but throwing live shrimp at the jetties is pretty fun every once in awhile. You never know what the hell is gonna be on the end of your line sometimes!

Comment

I was spooled on an 80# braided at the north jetty so big bait = big fish
                    NoBama

Comment

Yessir PasadenaMan. I go after troutskis and reds at "Da Jetties". I believe you hooked a monster sumthin!! That's one of the reasons I prefer salt over fresh-ya never know what's lurking under the water!!!
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                      X