A Great Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Great Read

Anyone looking for a great book try Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King. The book is the true account of a 1816 shipwreck of the coast of Africa. I could hardly put the book down at night.

You might also check out "Men of Salt" about the salt caravans based out of Timbuktu. Maybe not as gripping as Skeletons, but still very interesting.
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

I will. Thanks

Comment

I am half way through "The Fighting Texas Navy 1832-1843" by Douglas Meed. Up until the early part of this year, I didn't know we had a navy during the years of Texas gaining it's independence.

Had Santa Ana had the foresight to send his 1,000s of troops north by ship vs marching hundreds of miles through harsh terrains, I doubt there would be a Texas and southwest US today.

Fun fact I learned in this book: Commodore Thompson of the Texas Navy claimed the island of Cozumel for the Republic of Texas. A Texas flag was hoisted up a 45 ft flag pole followed by a 23 gun salute by two of our ships, Invincible and Brutus.

Comment

I can tell you that I was unaware that the Republic had a navy. I look forward to reading how it came that the Texas flag was raised over Cozumel.

Looks like all the Meed books will be interesting.

I was ending a run of Boer war, Franco/Prussian war, and Crimean war so the Dean King book was a nice change. But military history has always been my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIslandGuy View Post
            I can tell you that I was unaware that the Republic had a navy. I look forward to reading how it came that the Texas flag was raised over Cozumel.

Looks like all the Meed books will be interesting.

I was ending a run of Boer war, Franco/Prussian war, and Crimean war so the Dean King book was a nice change. But military history has always been my passion.
            Heck, I've got a Commission signed by the Texas Governor making me an Admiral in the Texas Navy. Next time yall see me, don't forget to salute me or I'll have ya walk the plank!!
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Dang , I knew you were old Robalo , but I didn't know you were an admiral in the Texas Navy ! Thank you for your service in playing a part in Texas independence .

Thanks for the book recommendations .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Here's a keeper . HARD ON THE WIND by RUSS HOLVENDAHL . His recounting of his first voyage at 14 years of age in 1937 on a fishing schooner out of San Francisco . They sail to the far northwest where the fishermen row out alone in dories to hand line fish for months . Fascinating recount of life on a sailing vessel in harsh and dangerous conditions .
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                  Here's a keeper . HARD ON THE WIND by RUSS HOLVENDAHL . His recounting of his first voyage at 14 years of age in 1937 on a fishing schooner out of San Francisco . They sail to the far northwest where the fishermen row out alone in dories to hand line fish for months . Fascinating recount of life on a sailing vessel in harsh and dangerous conditions .
                  Amazon.com - $4.00 shipped. Thanks for the recommendation

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
                    Amazon.com - $4.00 shipped. Thanks for the recommendation
                    I don't think youll regret it . It's one of my favorite books . I would like to have your comments about the book after you have read it .
                    Did anyone get THE FORGOTTEN SOLDIER ? Unforgettable book .
                    Heres a scholarly analysis of the brutal ground war in the South Pacific during WW 2 , TOUCHED WITH FIRE , the land war in the South Pacific by ERIC BERGERUD . The majority of books focus on the naval/air encounters . This author discusses the impact on both sides of the jungle environment , differences of the fighting men , differences of weapons , fighting methods , effects of supply and medical care . He liberally inserts quotes from both combatants to illustrate his view points . You'll come away with a better understanding and appreciation for the combatants in one of the most inhospitable environments on the planet , focusing on New Guinea , New Britain , and Solomon Islands .

Comment

Working...
                    X