Best 12V Trolling Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 12V Trolling Motor?

I am looking at some trolling motors for the new rig... I'd like to find a camo vesion... I spoke with Unclehandy here on the board as he's owned a good 4-5 trolling motors... He pointed me towards MinnKota and they offer a camo version..

Anyone else have any opinions? Favorites?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Dad had a Motorguide. Darn thing was in the shop more than on the boat. On the other hand, it survived Katrina when everything else on the boat was TOAST. I got a Minn Kota. I don't use it much, but I like it and it likes me LOL!
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Ive got a MinnKota and like it. Havent had it very long, but it works good I have always heard that between the big two, MinnKota is a better motor, and I tend to agree. They are slightly more expensive, but if you look at their components and the way they are put together, it just looks like a better product. I talked slightly with one of the guys at the FTU trolling motor shop and he told me they get a lot more Motorguides in for warranty/repair than Minnkota, for what its worth.

I would go for the MinnKota camo version you are talking about, but see if you can put the sacrificial diode on the prop to help with the salt water corrosion. Too bad they dont make a saltwater version in camo or black for your new rig.

How long is the boat gonna be and approx. weight?? You may want a 24v system. Good luck.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I've had 2 Motorguide the older version and the newer version...neither are on the boat now due to I'm tired of messing with them. My boat, 18ft shallowsport doesn't handle chop very well and the front deck is no place for one.

I believe you see fewer Minnkotas in for warranty just because there are fewer Minnkotas, but that being said, I'll probably try one of them next. They do look a little beefier. With MG you constantly have head pins shearing or someother issue. Now if your doing a stern mount, I've got buddies that run 6-7 year old MG's with no problems. Only thing that tells me is they don't like shock...or the front of a shallowsport very much!
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

MinnKota makes a camo version... However it has the clamp style mount... I might get a better version than what they offer and just put camoclad on the white parts
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have had a 55# 12 V MinnKota bow mount on my boat for seven years and it still works, they're probably $450-$500 now.
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
            X