new to saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to saltwater

i got a 6 wt. last year i am geting a 8 wt. soon and i want to get started in cristmas and chocolate do you have any sugestions on what to use. and a sugesstion on a good sturdy fly combo 8wt. under 250
    Itching To Be Fishing!

There are two posts that I found on 2cool. One is Texxan1 selling some of Chris Phillips old gear, some great rods cheap, and the second is right below, has a reel or two. The rod really has to be something that suits your personal style. If you aren't that far along, that you know what you like, give me a call and I can help narrow it down for you. Reel doesn't need to be anything expensive, pretty much just holds line for Inshore Texas fishing. Line and Rod are the important part. If you need specifics, be glad to help. Keep the flies simple!! Short leaders in the Galveston area for sure. If you really want a combo, check BPro, they usually have something that is a good starter. If you plan to stay for a while, buy a good rod and line and a cheap reel. Used equipment would make a good start. Only concern about a rod would be look for chips or scratches in the coating/finish, could become a weak spot down the road if from an impact.
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

ok i went this morning and found a temple for with an 8 wt for 160 i ahve several salt water flies and have been with my 6 wt. and caught a 14 inch trout liked to kill it
      Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by only lures View Post
        ok i went this morning and found a temple for with an 8 wt for 160 i ahve several salt water flies and have been with my 6 wt. and caught a 14 inch trout liked to kill it
        8wt is great all around for the Texas coast. that 6 could be a lot of fun in the right situation. Keep in mind, they will all flex more than your conventional stuff. 6wt is about the low end of what you can fish in the salt with and expect to be able to control a fish. I have fished 4 and 5 in the lights, but most of the trout we were catching were under 19 inches.

Comment

casting

yea i went to a saltwater fly cast and with the high grade line and a 9 foot with a 8 wt. sage and got my cast to about 75 feet and i fell in love with sage and tfo and iv been working at it and my best cast was estimated 85 feet with a 6foot 6 rod with my old 4 wieght is that good !
          Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Gold Cup III @ Bass Pro Shops is a good starter reel. I've had my 8wt for awhile and it still performs great. My 11wt is my off shore baby she's great on big ling
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by only lures View Post
              yea i went to a saltwater fly cast and with the high grade line and a 9 foot with a 8 wt. sage and got my cast to about 75 feet and i fell in love with sage and tfo and iv been working at it and my best cast was estimated 85 feet with a 6foot 6 rod with my old 4 wieght is that good !
              If you are saying that you can throw an 85 foot cast with a 4wt, you are doing better than about 99% of the world. I'm not sure that I can nail an 85 foot cast with a 4wt.

Coe, You are dead on! Inexoensive reels are fine. If you have a little bit of ability to apply drag, that's all that you need. My favorite example is that most of the early tarpon fishing in S Florida was done using a Pflueger Meddalist fly reel. Not much there to talk about.

Comment

ok my 4 wt was a 5\6 wt. 8 footer all i need is a long enough pole to get the perfect arch and the right line
                Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

The standard length for most fly fishing use would be 9 foot, typically I would recomend a 7-9 weight rod with matching line. Obvous conclusion is that 8 wt is the middle and therefore the most used in Texas coastal fishing. I have fished a 6 wt quite a bit, but tough if the wind blows. Even fished a 4 wt for trout undwer the lights. 9 foot 8wt will get you where you want to be most days.

Comment

ok thanks and when your fly fishing salt water what type of retrieve would you use
                    Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

it's really dependent on the fly and the target. think about the animal that you are trying to represent and how it moves and that will servce as your guide. Usually slower works better as most flies are good representation of prey species, and very bouyant.

Comment

Go buy a gummy minnow I love them I have caught all 3 of my largest trout using that lure when the trout get thick in the canals its a lot of fun watching them come out of the water after it

Comment

so are streamers good for reds and trout or what would you recomend
                          Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

I like deceivers, spoons or my trusty gummy minnow

Comment

thats great thanks the gummy minnows are at bass pro right
                              Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Working...
                              X