12-13 Jones / Diversionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-13 Jones / Diversionary

Left the dock this morning at about daylight ( or fog light ) and ran to several spots in the diversionary waiting for the soup to clear up. I finally decided at about 9 that it wasn't going anywhere for a while and figured I'd check out Jones. As I hit the mouth of the diversionary there were birds working everywhere! Shrimp were flushing out with the strong out going tide and all of the bait was stacked up at the mouth. Caught a handfull of keeper trout and lots of dinks. Caught one red 21" and two more rats. By this time it was 10am and the fog was still insane -- I decided to give it up after one last drift across the mouth. About ten casts in -- Working a pink Baby Buster --- REALLY SLOW -- I felt a bump and about 3 seconds later -- another -- set the hook and the fight was on! Never did get to see it but I could tell it was a pretty big trout -- She pulled drag and shook her head for a couple of minutes -- did everything I could not to horse her but I guess I just didn't have a good enough hook set. I know where she is the next time! Gave the fish (4 trout and a red) to a kid and his dad that were fishing near the ramp and went home to a pot of chicken and dumplings to thaw out. Didn't take any pics this time -- too frickin cold and wet -- didn't even think about it -- sorry. Water temp was 52-53 and the wind was nil -- perfect day except for the darn fog! All of the fish were caught on corkys and strike pro baby busters.
    Shut up and FISH!!

I was in the same area just on the N side of the cannal but I dropped anchor where an old cannal use to be on the W shoreline of Jones. I waded in 2-3ft of broken shell and sand bottom with my She dog and then SS jr. I did see some bait fish jump once or twice but I had NO swirles, NO blow ups, No hook ups. 2 Hour grind but I agree with what a nice morning it was with the fog. 9-noon I was out. I did manage to hook up with a very old friend of mine at the boat ramp and that topped the day.

Tide dropped quickly, Temp was like you said 53, fish did not want to show up for me though. Glad you hooked into a few. I was going to stay at the mouth of Highlands but had that topwater wade fishing set in my mind, lol.

Comment

thanks for the report!!
      Captain Glenn Stevens
      Coastal Guide Service
      www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Nice report IBTSOOM. This is a good time of year in Jones.
        Kevin, you should have stuck on a corky and you would have found a few!
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Think I finally thawed out at about 3 o'clock after several helpings of dumplings -- Kevin -- thanks for the report -- you guys that wade in the winter are definitely better men than me. Love to wade but I like to do it in shorts and a tee-shirt while I'm sweating!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

nice report ibtsoom....it was cold but compred too the last couple of weekends it was walk in the park...........but today my toes were the numbest they haveever been dressed up no different than in the past....i guess 4 or 5 hours of wading will do that.
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

the diversionary hold some prety good fish almost year around. i fish the shorelines and the mouth a lot.

Comment

Thanks for the reports IBTSOOM and Kenny.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                X