another jack plate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another jack plate question

Found a jack plate for a good price, but wondering if it is worth putting one on my boat since I have not tunnel. I run an 18 kenner V hull

Any opinions or personal experience anybody can share?
    Scott
    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

I do not run that kind of boat so all I can say is that I will never own a boat without a jack plate...especially since I like the skinny stuff...
    sigpic

Comment

GSB

I don't have a tunnel (22' Whaler) but I have one. On the whaler it hepls with performance when tuned just right and gives me that little help getting up when fishing places like Greens or Cauranchua (sp). You draft a liitle less than me and are probaly a 1,000lbs lighter so it may not make much difference on the Kenner. Gater

Comment

GSB, what jack plate are you looking at? I have used one, and only one brand for years. Ran the jack plate on every boat that I own, but certain boats will require certain things from the plate, so don't jump until you understand what you need for the hull to perform at it's best.
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

I have a tunnel and a v hull with a Bob's jackplate. Love it!
          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

My son has one on a 21 Kenner V.It helps

Comment

If you decide not to use it, let me know, mine is broken and if it is cheap, I would be interested.
              Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

This is a pretty good article. Notice they put jack plates on 3 different kinds of boats and it helped the performance on all 3. I found it a darn good read.

http://trailerboats.com/output.cfm?i...&sectionid=315
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Thanks for the link Coach. You know, 600 to $800 seems like a lot to pay for that much improvement in speed and fuel economy.

I guess it comes down to shallow water access.

Hate it.
                  Scott
                  "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

you will see an all around performance increase, it will take you a bit to learn everything that you can do with it, but once you do......
                    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Still worth it even if you don't have a tunnel. As has been said, you can trim the boat out better and can raise it to idle into shallow coves.
                      Honk if you love Jesus.
                      Text while driving if you want to meet him.

Comment

Not Bad

I have one that came with my 21' CC V-hull. It's nice to navigate out of shallow water since you retain steering as opposed to a regular transom mount that angles your prop at a 45 degree angle out of the water
                        Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                        X