Spearfishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spearfishing?

Anyone on this site like underwater hunting? Due to Ike I only got to go once this year and I'm regretting it.

Mabey next season we can get some people together? I'm boatless but will go in for gas and bring food/beverages/equiptment.

40-49
    0.00%
    50-59
    30.00%
    60-69
    40.00%
    70-79
    20.00%
    80-89
    10.00%
    90-99
    0.00%
    100+
    0.00%

Dang thats one giant Reef Donkey! Never done it but am proficient underwater love diving etc... Bailey & I were talking about using Hawaiian rigs what type of setup do you have??
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

How far do you normally travel out?? I can get you 60NM out of Galveston

Comment

Count me In! (please) Never done it but always wanted to. No boat or equipment, but will help out w/ expenses and purchase necessarry equip. Do you free dive or gear up? I am an experienced diver and done a little bit of free diving a few years ago.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I've got a few spearguns. Two shorter JBL guns, Two Rabitech's, and a Riffe metaltech (bad to the bone, put the shaft right into that AJ's spine). The rabitechs are great guns but I use them for freediving now because the shafts bend too easily if the fish wraps it around a rig leg. I'll take some pictures of my arsenal some time.

I hunt rigs mostly, but I would be down for weedlines and I think I would even dive a chumslick if there were fish around.

When I go out far with my dive buddies everyone is on SCUBA so I do the same thing. I think they would whack all the fish above 50' pretty quick and not leave much in freedive territory. Freediving is alot of fun though, you are very quiet and streamlined. I like to float around and shoot cuda during my surface interval.

That was a nice AJ, but the "bass fisherman pose" makes it look a little bigger. Here is a more realistic shot.

Notice the cut-off leader hanging out of his mouth. He had a small circle hook and some mono from where he broke off someone's snapper rig.

Also wouldn't mind getting some more of these guys

Comment

Oh yeah, 60NM should be plenty to get into good fish around here.

I normally go out of Port Aransas, and it's about 30 miles there until deep blue water.

It would be a lot of fun to try it down here, lets give it a shot sometime!

Comment

I'm down for it whenever... You find a weekend that's nice and calm and we'll go... I'm a certified Master Diver (PADI) don't have the lungs right now for freediving... Give me 90 days and I'll be back in shape

Comment

Well Milkjug, how heavy was that AJ???
                "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Yah... I've been waiting for that then I'll close the poll

Comment

Haha, he felt like ~50lb or so. Still heavy to hold up

Comment

Let's Roll!!

Comment

I'm ready to go this weekend... I don't care if its 40 degrees out I'll jump in a spear something!

Comment

Man I'm so down to go and try. What is out in the blue water this time of year? Too bad my gear is in Austin right now. I'll have the freedive shooting kit down this weekend hopefully. Do ya'll think it would be worth it to bring down the SCUBA stuff too?

Comment

I'll be happy to join you guys if you have room. I've got an extra reg (no computer on the spare though....but Hydrosports Scuba rents gear) and two guns, a Sea Hornet and a Riffe. Will kick in for gas and clean the boat.

Comment

Tell me what I need to buy

Comment

Working...
                              X