Jumpin Minnow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumpin Minnow

Anyone use these? I tried it out the other day and caught a couple of trout on it. It came with some freshwater hooks so I swaped them out and they seemed to hold up pretty well. It was only 2.50 at academy, seems like a good deal. Only drawback is that it's very light and you can't cast it as far as other topwaters. It worked well when there was no wind and the water was slick as glass.

I have some of the big ones I used for Bass 20 years ago. They are much heavier and I caught a lot of bass on them.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I've never used that one. mirrolure came out with a jumping mullet but I haven't bought that one either. I need a bigger tackle box before I buy more lures.

Comment

That was THE topwater in the early to mid 90's.

Okay all you younguns' gather round whilst I tell you a few fishin stories..... We didn't see the real advent of serious saltwater top waters until around 1995 here. The Rebel Jumpin Minnow was around since about 1990. They also had the popular Swimmin Minnow which was the same as above with the addition of a lip to make it dive.

NO! I'm not THAT old, just been fishing all my life....
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post

Okay all you younguns' gather round whilst I tell you a few fishin stories..... We didn't see the real advent of serious saltwater top waters until around 1995 here. The Rebel Jumpin Minnow was around since about 1990. They also had the popular Swimmin Minnow which was the same as above with the addition of a lip to make it dive.

Yeah and before those were the broken backs...I'm talken mid to late 80's here. Chrome/ black for trout, gold/black for reds...not much has changed.
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Cool, I wonder why there not that popular anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
              Cool, I wonder why there not that popular anymore?
              I still carry one, especially the gold. They have a crankbait style lip that will allow you to reel and run it under the water. Sometimes this is effective on reds, or trout, that are slapping and short striking. Puts a little back pressure on the lure, and you get a hook up instead of a the other. The ED Special is a similiar lure that is popular down in Matagorda and put togethre by a local guy there. I'll post a picture of it when I get home.
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

They are not as popular because we all started using the walking baits. Too much fun, too much excitement, and toooooo many tournaments won. They still work great, just like a spoon. They just don't get talked about anymore.

Comment

I was using Jumping Minnows for Bass in the Late 70s to early 80s, so they have been around longer than that,
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

yup, they just didn't migrate to salt with any seriouisness until the late 80's. Really became a big thing in the early 90's. Still a great bait, I prefer the spook or dog, for the level float when still. Seems a bit more natural and the fish will eat it between twitches.

Comment

Yeah......I haven't even thrown them in salt, but have thought about it. I may break one out in the spring.
                      sigpic

Comment

cotton cordell jointed red-fin. great old lure that still works but its not the newest lure so it gets over looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                          cotton cordell jointed red-fin. great old lure that still works but its not the newest lure so it gets over looked.
                          I've got 2 chrome ones that I throw in salt.
                          sigpic

Comment

Uncle Shallowist is right all you young whipper snappers..this was THE TOPWATER plug for us after the 89' freeze...can you say freeze?

Chartruese/Gold and Orange/Gold were both staples in Uncle Coon's wading box back then. It accounted for A LOT of BIG trout in EMB in the mid 90's...back when people looked at us funny for standing in knee deep mud, and the only boats you saw in winter (or heard on foggy days) in EMB were tug boats headed down the ICW....and no, I'm not that old either..just feel like it sometimes....

God I miss those days! Long live the Rebel Jumpin Minnow!

Comment

Ok so when the the GHOAST come out?
                              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X