Teaching the Wife to Fish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching the Wife to Fish...

This has been great! She has been a great student. Seven bluegill with seven consecutive casts using five worms. All strikes within seconds of the bait hitting the water. She really has the fundamentals down now so that she can move on to more challenging waters.

I wish I could describe the look of frustration on the faces of the other anglers as she was bringing in fish after fish. We were on station less than an hour (Clear Lake area). That spring of confidence in her walk as we left the banks of that pond was priceless.

She used a Nightcrawler tandem hook harness rig. The worm was threaded and inflated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-n5trQZr-M.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	575611

Good deal !
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Way to go!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Awesome!!! When she is ready to step up to bigger check out my posts on Lake Nassua, they should help some.
        Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Nice job on the catching.
          Inflated ?
          Scratching my head on that one.

Comment

Methinks inflated means poking a hypo needle in worm and injecting it with air and puffing it up... ??

Comment

Originally posted by bountyhunter View Post
              Awesome!!! When she is ready to step up to bigger check out my posts on Lake Nassua, they should help some.
              Thanks bountyhunter, I saw your post on Lake Nassau earlier. Yes, we will visit there, we are only minutes away, and it fits with the early program I have outlined for her. We are starting with bank fishing from ponds, bayous, small lakes. She's already asked if we can buy a boat. Slow down lady! Lots more to learn first.

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
              Nice job on the catching.
              Inflated ?
              Scratching my head on that one.
              Here's a link for you. It makes the worm look juicier and gives it some buoyancy. http://www.amazon.com/Lindy-Worm-Blo...ds=worm+blower

Originally posted by SCHU View Post
              Methinks inflated means poking a hypo needle in worm and injecting it with air and puffing it up... ??
              Yes indeedy. The worm threader is also a nice device. Slips that worm up the harness quickly, though she has done it by hand. She was not queasy about handling the bait at all. http://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-SBW...=worm+threader

Thread the worm first, then inflate it.
              Last edited by Flamenquero; September 27, 2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

The worm harness is actually a rig used for Walleye up north. Usually on bottom for the Walleye. I suspend it below a float about two feet. We were actually laughed at over at that pond for using a float, like it's for kids from Mayberry or other bumpkins. Again, seven fish landed in seven consecutive casts. Who is laughing now? Well at least no potlickers. Good structure at the pond.

Comment

Careful with what you're doing . I have four fishing buddies who got their wife's fishing . The four wife's entered a ladies tournament and swept the competition in all catagories winning money and a Las Vegas trip for them and their husbands . If they had entered the side pots they would have won those . The girls have never let the husbands forget nor the lack of similar achievements by the guys .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Haha! Very funny plugger. Thanks for the warning!

And here's a photo of the harnesses I tied. I haven't started her on knots, rigs, etc. yet, but will soon. I bought the jewelry for the harness rig at Fishing Tackle Unlimited. The beads are gold and green. The gold beads are weighted. The hooks and the blade are also gold. The worm gets threaded between the two hooks. The bottom hook comes out at the lower third of the worm. The top hook just below the head. I have found that the threading makes the fish commit if he really wants the bait. Bluegill (and other panfish/sunfish) are artists at stealing worms. I showed my wife how they do this by tossing a couple of worms to some minnows. They will slurp that worm like humans do with noodle soup, and then abandon the bait as soon as they feel the metal of the hook. With this rig they have to commit. I have also landed bass and catfish with this rig at that pond. Many have complained they don't catch fish there. I have not had an unsuccessful trip there yet. This is the pond at Challenger 7 Memorial Park.

Comment

Forgot to mention, that's a fluorocarbon leader tied to mono, and the swivel is invisible too, from InvisaSwivel. The bluegill will school on anything shiny, so I only want them to school only on the rig itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X