West Bay 10-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay 10-30

Headed out from College Station after a night of partying at about 4:30 a.m. and was in the water by 7 at the end of the seawall. Got the rod ready for the first cast and...my reel wouldn't engage!!! Headed back to the car to grab the backup and headed back down again. First cast, and I'm hooked into something huge and pissed off. Remember, I'm new at this saltwater thing, so I had no idea what it could have been until 25 minutes later I pull out my first Jack Crevalle that had to have been over 20 lbs. Wow...thing looked like a mini-tuna. Definitely happy after that, but didn't get a sniff for the next 30 minutes. Headed to the bayside by Jamaica Beach and proceeded to wade out what seemed like a mile (lowtide and clear water). Found a promising area and started catching sheepshead!!! Weird... Eventually, my buddy wades a few yards away and starts hammering specs like no tomorrow. He happened to find a small hole and we start stringing them up for the next hour!!! Then nothing...some kinda luck. On the wade back to the car, I pick up a keeper flounder, and then...a 22 inch red!!! My first Texas Slam!!! Craziness!!!

Well done, sounds like an eventful day on the water.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Congrats on the slam!! Where are the pics??? I love those Jetty Tuna
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Gosh, wish I had pics to post...Kinda found out my "waterproof" camera wasn't so waterproof on the very first fish of the day!!!

Comment

Ouch!! They make a digital camera thats waterproof... I have a Canon Elph and I bought a waterproof case for it and have taken it down 80' in the Caymans... retains all uses of the buttons etc...
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
            Ouch!! They make a digital camera thats waterproof... I have a Canon Elph and I bought a waterproof case for it and have taken it down 80' in the Caymans... retains all uses of the buttons etc...

Pentax Optio WP...only good to about 15ft. I used it snorkeling in Belize with no problems. Probably stayed under water a total of 3 hours.
            Don't be a Nancy!
            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Definitely have been looking into getting a digital waterproof camera, but have been putting it off and picking up those Kodak waterproof one time use cameras (kinda have learned my lesson though, I think)...Every time I save up enough to start looking at the digital ones at Best Buy, the reel counter at Academy beckons me even louder!!!

Comment

Nice day of catching.Congrats
                NK
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                X