any tips on where to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips on where to go?

noob question, but anybody got places in mind i could try out? i have a yak and a 7 wt that i need to put to use. ive fished cold pass, mud island, mouth of bastrop bay and west end of christmas bay. never caught a fish in any of it and thats with conventional and fly tackle. i prefer fly fishing when the wind is manageable but i just dont know where to start. thanks for any advice

If you have the funds available, book a guide with the intent of learning areas in the bay. My first year or two here was difficult in the winter. There are still some very good walk in/wade/yak spots around the bay. The difficult part is learning which ones for which time of the year. Check out the chart on the TopSpot maps, they are fairly accurate. Go look at a spot, and spend a little time learning the area. This time of the year things will happen slower, so don't let it frustrate you. If you see any bait moving when the water is this cold, don't leave. The trout and reds never stray far from the refrigerator.
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

X2 on what Steve said. I hired a guide and it made a WORLD of difference.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

are there fly guides in the area? i hate booking a guide on conventional tackle. in my experience, you basically pay him to fish and let you tag along. hes out of the boat and casting before you even get your wading belt on and he always catches more fish and doesn't give you much instruction. fly guides find the fish, position the boat and teach you, way better imo

Comment

That would be me sir. Shoot me a PM and we can talk about the best way to make a good trip suited to what you need/want to learn. I am a fly guide, and conventional tackle as well. Have been FFF certified casting instructor for 11 years, and started guiding in 1999. Probably a few people on this board and around the state of Texas that can tell you more about me. Check with any of the local fly shops. The only other that I know in the area currently is Gerry Gimbler, also a great guy that I met over 10 years ago. He mostly focusses on Freeport to East Matty, If i'm not mistaken. I will fish any bay from Calcasiue to Baffin, given the right customer and conditions. I really don't guide as an everyday thing now. I only want to plan a trip that a customer will walk away with some great information and an experience that they won't ever forget!

Took a regular from this site last week, not flyfishing, but ask Plugger what he thought about spending a day on the water with me.

Comment

Jackh,
            Fly fishing from a kayak in the west bay during the winter months is a very hard undertaking. Without a mother ship, your best bets are the marshes along the south shore line. You can put in at Sportsman's road and fly fish the marshes along Hance Bayou and Auzston Bayou. Also from there you can reach a very good marsh behind Melanger Cove. Another available spot for walk in kayak is at the end of 11 mile road (Settegast). This location will connect you to the marshes between Eckert Bayou and Starvation Cove. Then there is always the State Park. There is a put in spot at the end of Oak Bayou (the old amphi-theater area). From there you can fish Dana Cove or Butterowe. Get a good bay map and you will be able to locate all these spots.

In this winter weather try to find a warming trend with reasonably good tidal movement and go get um. Fish almaost any pattern you can fish slow and deep. During the summer months these areas are fairly good for sight casting to cruising and tailing reds.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Lots o good info there Jim. West Bay really has a lot to offer those who are willing to look around a bit.

Comment

Yep, JACKH, THE SHALLOWIST is your man. He has years of experience in our bays, knowledgeable, reasonable rates, and a GREAT instructor. It would be money well spent. I plan on another tutorial with him sometime in April.
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice info guys,
                  10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

thanks for the help and info. i have a hook n line map that i get out and study from time to time. theres so many marshy-redfishy lookin places but i feel like i hit some of them up and never see a thing! i guess i should pay more attention to temps and tides in the winter.

shallowist- id love to get a trip together. dont have the money right now and im going back to school around the 19th so it might be more like this summer. do you give casting lessons? i went out with scott sommerlatte this past august in seadrift and it was a blast. weather was horrible and fishing was real bad in his eyes but i had a great time and learned a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jackh View Post
                      thanks for the help and info. i have a hook n line map that i get out and study from time to time. theres so many marshy-redfishy lookin places but i feel like i hit some of them up and never see a thing! i guess i should pay more attention to temps and tides in the winter.

shallowist- id love to get a trip together. dont have the money right now and im going back to school around the 19th so it might be more like this summer. do you give casting lessons? i went out with scott sommerlatte this past august in seadrift and it was a blast. weather was horrible and fishing was real bad in his eyes but i had a great time and learned a lot.
                      Casting lessons? why yes... Sommerlatte is a great guy and very knowledgable. Guides always have high expectations, and when a trip doesn't go well, it's a let down to any good guide more so than for the angler. If you came away happy, then the trip was successful.

I won't be going anywhere before you come back from school, so just give me a shout, and I will help you get a grasp on those marshy areas that are full of redfish..

Comment

Working...
                      X