My cajun depth finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cajun depth finder

I use to use my fishing rod to probe the bottom for depth and structure type when trolling into a shore . Bad practice . I broke off a rod tip doing that . This is 1/2 inch PVC which is easy for me to grip and light . 1-4 feet taped markings glued at end and edges to keep from unraveling hopefully . Pipe ends capped and glued as is the float . A previous one I lost while probbing the bottom and I couldn't find it searching the bottom with my booties . The improved design has a top T bar and stringer float that hopefully will keep that end up in water if I drop it . I'll test it next time out . Concrete for weight is at the working end to keep it in the rod holder when motoring and to facilitate it getting to the bottom and not be swept astern while trolling in . A piece of leaf garbage bag was rammed inside to the set concrete to help prevent the concrete from maybe sliding to the other end .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

I like it, Henry! Gonna make me one.

Comment

Good work , but you need to get on the randy Lemmon yard fertilizer ( nitro phos 5 step program ) you got a lot of weeds in that grass ! Lol
      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Thats a great idea for sure!!! I liked the concrete in the end and the float on the other!! Wouldn't need no glasses to see the markers either!!
        Patent up!!
        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
          Good work , but you need to get on the randy Lemmon yard fertilizer ( nitro phos 5 step program ) you got a lot of weeds in that grass ! Lol
          x2. nice depth finder but you need some weed control there buddy. I recommend Nitro Phos to all my clients that don't want the cost of a custom blend.

Comment

Ya'll should see my lawn. If it's green it's grass! Just as long as there are no sticker burrs I'm cool.

Comment

At least I got more positive feedback for the stick than the grass . I haven't had much angst with the grass because I'm fighting the bugs and weeds in the large flower beds to keep me busier than I care to be . As long as the yard has been a green color , I have been satisfied . But , now that you have pointed it out maybe I'll look into it . I suddenly got a dead area in the front lawn that has never occurred . Maybe I'll do a thread of pictures of my lawn problems for y'all's input . Sounds fun . Like a call in show . I've been much fatigued for almost a year and just got diagnosed with hypothyroidism . I'm excited because now I can tell everyone that I'm fat because of a glandular problem . But , he's making me take thyroid meds so hopefully I'll have more energy in a few weeks to tackle the beds and grass .. And fish . Gilbert , you have a lawn service ? Usually I spray paint green any dead lawn areas ...HAR!
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

A real Cajun Depth Finder is just a bamboo pole. The bottom of the pole will split and it'll make noise and vibrate when ya hit oyster shell. Basically similar to Plugger's stick, but less cost, floats on its own, can throw at potlickers (like Flapper) and wont feel bad losing it.

Plus if your reel fishing rod breaks, tie your line to your 'depth finder', adjust yer mouf right and fish with it!!

Your getting Brown Patch Plugger-get some fungicide and try a weed and feed fertilizer.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

You're correct about the true Cajun depth finder , Robalo , and it's superior attributes . Mine is the German version ....over engineered . Yeah , my grass needs help .

Comment

Nice idea Henry....I like it.
                    I hope those meds get you feeling better.
                    Last edited by Root Canal; November 7, 2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                      Ya'll should see my lawn. If it's green it's grass! Just as long as there are no sticker burrs I'm cool.
                      How do you get rid of them stickers. I've been plagued with 'em and the pre-emergent killer recommended, didn't work worth a hoot.
                      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

he's making me take thyroid meds so hopefully I'll have more energy in a few weeks to tackle the beds and grass
                        Nice. That synthroid will fire you up for sure. Lots more energy and probably lose some weight to boot.

How do you get rid of them stickers. I've been plagued with 'em and the pre-emergent killer recommended, didn't work worth a hoot.
                        Hate to say this but hand-pulling is what I would recommend. Pre-emergents target normal plants (I think dicotic is the word?), not grasses or they would kill your lawn too. Sticker burrs (the really nasty pointy ones, not burr clover) are grasses too. Wait until after a rain, get a cold beer in one hand and get to pullin'. They are lighter in color and pretty easy to find amongst the normal grass. If they start to get tall and flower, mow them down before they go to seed.

Comment

My cajun depth finder

I was wondring if the Eagle cudas were good depth finders for fishing the bay?If not what are some good fish finder/Gps combo that is cheap? I am thinking of buying a Eagle Cuda 250 S/MAP GPS Fish Finder.

Comment

that's good stuff right there...
                            Think like a fish no matter how weird it gets…

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                              Nice. That synthroid will fire you up for sure. Lots more energy and probably lose some weight to boot.

Hate to say this but hand-pulling is what I would recommend. Pre-emergents target normal plants (I think dicotic is the word?), not grasses or they would kill your lawn too. Sticker burrs (the really nasty pointy ones, not burr clover) are grasses too. Wait until after a rain, get a cold beer in one hand and get to pullin'. They are lighter in color and pretty easy to find amongst the normal grass. If they start to get tall and flower, mow them down before they go to seed.
                              Ive tried two thyroid medications and both at low doses gave me the screaming memees where my blood pressure shot through the roof , 112 pulse , pacing agitation , and insomnia . I quit taking them for a while and will confer with the endocrinologist Tuesday. I should have used that time to hand pick the weeds out of front and back yards .

Comment

Working...
                              X