New yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New yak

just got a 13 ft pelican for christmas. new to yaking hoping for a few new spots(not asking for honey holes). also tips on getting in

Can you make it up to Seabrook tomorrow?

Comment

if it warms up

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
        Can you make it up to Seabrook tomorrow?
        where in seabrook

Comment

Not sure if we are going to hit the flats or back in the back of Clear Lake just yet. I am going to be out there on my Yak with a buddy in his yak first thing in the morning. I am usually off the water by 11AM.

Comment

Fat Boy's is a good launch for this time of year. Jones Lake right there and a bunch of mid-bay shell reefs S of you and toward The Causeway.

Galveston Bait and Tackle on the island-side base of The Causeway

The end of Sportsman's and the ramp mid-way down will give you access to Confederate Reef and some S. shore coves.

Get a folding anchor with 5' or so of line and another lenght in case you want to anchor somewhere deep or with a lot of current

Use a drift sock and cut drifts along fishy areas, anchoring where it looks especially fishy. But keep moving to find 'em.

Don't drop your stuff in the drink or lose your paddle and you'll be OK. Let us know if you slime her up.

Comment

I have kayaked for years. Sportsman is probably the place to learn to kayak this time of year otherwise Christmas Bay is a good place.

Offats has some good holes but too much deep water till you have gone a few times.

At Sportmans road- Look for the waders out in front of the sand island and start there.
              Kick to TKF on how to rig.

1/2 way down Sportmans there is a small boat ramp on the right between two houses if you want to get out to the reef.

This time of year. Bruce anchor, drift sock, real life jacket are a must.

BTW On TKF Diamond Jen posted a new kayak tournament series if you are interested.

Comment

congrats on the new yak.
                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

thanx to all of yall and how much does it take to flip a 13ft pelican. i would try it myself but the water is too cold.

Comment

I don't know. I sit with my feet over the same side without a problem. Getting flipped in the surf is a real possibility. Pulling hard on a hung up anchor and it freeing up has potential. Came close when an unknowing huge bull red surfaced left underside of my yak and touched it with it's back and left with a big tail slap, and when a boater passed me full throttle 15 feet away as I sat against the bank of a canal.
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

This was in a 14 foot perception.
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Most kayaks are different in their stability. Some have primary and some have better secondary stability.

Never owned a pelican.

Kinda like skiing. Keep your weight centered over the kayak and you should be fine.

Sudden movements or trying to reach into the back tw tend to get people off center.

Comment

Another thing... Once the weather gets nice, do a dedicated trip just to play in some moderately-sized surf. No gear, just you, kayak, paddle. You will learn the limits of your yak really quick, and gain more rough water experience than you would have in a year in the bays. Plus it's pretty dang fun to haul azz back to the beach riding a wave with water shooting up your scuppers from the speed.

Comment

Thats excellent advice. I have actually taken out a new kayak during the summer for the purpose of making it fail just so I would know what the limit of it's stability was. You will probably be surprised both in how much it takes and in how sudden it goes when you do reach that limit.

Comment

Working...
                            X