Power Pole and Jackplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Pole and Jackplate

Planning on getting a 6' (maybe 8') Power Pole very soon. Likely will install it myself (with a buddies help). Who has best deal on them?

Same with Jackplate. Bob's or what and what is cost and who has best deal on them?

Thanks.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
    Planning on getting a 6' (maybe 8') Power Pole very soon. Likely will install it myself (with a buddies help). Who has best deal on them?

Same with Jackplate. Bob's or what and what is cost and who has best deal on them?

Thanks.
    Did the ride out to the camp have any bearing on the decision to get a jack plate?
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Yes it did Mike. That and I was about 2' off EX 21's propwash at that bend!!
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

LOL I really like my Bob's plate! Do not know much about the power pole, but my neighbor has had nothing but problems, but other tell me they would never go back to using something else.
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Buy the Bob's plate. I would think that the length on the Power Pole has more to do with the way you fish. If you drift deep water and think that you would use it to stop the boat, get the 8 foot. If you mostly will use to anchor for wading, buy the 6. Be careful with both, you need the boat moving very slowly before dropping, otherwise you will be replacing the shaft frequenty. I would shop them at the boat show, everybody will be looking to move stuff, this year.

Which boat are you thinking about installing the plate and pole on? I have installed a jack plate on a small boat with a 90 hp Yamaha, not to hard and can tell you how I did it in a garage solo. I haven't done a Power Pole, but shouldn't take much, location of placement will be the biggest issue. make sure that you install on a solid section of transom
          http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

love my bob's jack plate and 6 foot PP, never had an issue with either one. Only wish the remote worked farther away from the boat to raise the PP

Comment

Thanks Neil and Steve. STEVE: When's the boat show?

It's a 20' Skeeter Baypro, so 6' pole should work for what I need. As far as jackplate, the 150 yammie is mounted on a 6" setback plate, so it should be fairly easy to install that. The power pole will be about 2 hours to do-buddy did his and he knows what he's doing. The jackplate will prolly need a real mechanic since I aint got a lift crane for the motor.

COSTS ANYONE? How much for a Bob's and who's got best prices. Same question for power pole.

Comment

Call Me, you don't need much. 150 motor may be tough, but I built a little brace system that cost me about 10$ and bought a come along. I can explain it anyone wants to try. with your Skeeter I would say the 6 inch is right, and Bob's should still sell for around 785$. boat show starts on the 8th and runs throught the 17th, ugh! That show is way too long.
                http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Cool Steve. I'll hook up with ya at Boat show and you can help me get the stuff or lead me in right direction to right folks!

The motor is already mounted on a 6" set-back plate-it looks like a jackplate but aint-it don't move, so at least removal of motor itself should be fairly easy. removing the set back plate won't be easy though!!
                  Last edited by Robalo; December 29, 2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Hey Jerry...have you had a chance to move Mark's new flag to your place?
                    sigpic

Comment

I would go with the 8ft. Never hurts to have another 2. But, if you can store a 10' stick on the boat, I would consider that first.

Unless of course, you wade down current and want to raise your power pole remotely so that the boat will drift to you.

Comment

All I know is that Bob's is suppose to be the best- I have one. I have a 6 foot power pole and would have gotten a 8 foot if they had them when I bought mine. Longer is better. Never had an issue with mine unless I did something stupid. I wouldn't get out of the boat with it as the only anchor. I had mine jumping towards the rocks in Trinity one time from a freighter wake miles away. I worry about a rising tide and it not holding . But, for trolling along and using the remote to drop it down and fish, then move on and do the same is great. Real handy , fast, and quiet.
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thanks you all. I plan on going to the Boat Show and see what I can come up with price-wise. May go with 8' also.
                          Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Comment

Robalo I have a engine hoist.Used once.Mounted engine on my boat.Let me know if you want to use it.Heck I'll give ya a hand.It don't take long to mount a jackplate and engine.

Comment

Have never had a problem with my Bob's or my Power pole. Get the 8'. If I am wading an open bay reef I drop my anchor as a safety net. It kept me from swimming for the boat this past fall. Other than that I wouldn't have a boat without one.

Comment

Working...
                              X