Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snipe down ... for real !!!

Droped my 1st snipe ....

They really exist .... in Tx the limit is 8 per man ...

And I have been told they taste between a dove and a teal.

They are real hard to shoot ....

I think I'm going to do a mount with it..... it's a cool looking bird

Any of you ever shot one ....?

Pics to come soon
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

did you bang pots and pans to flush him up??

Comment

Here is a link to hunting them in our area

PICs to

FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

I've shot a few -- not crazy about the taste so I tend to leave em alone. They're crazy when they fly and wicked fast!! If you can hit one you're doing some good!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Here are all the regs, page 14 has the regs ...look down toward the bottom

Common Snipe - 8 per day, 16 pos.

FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

there a fun bird to hunt best way i have found is to walk rice fieds shoot them like flushing quail just hard to hit

Comment

Originally posted by blacdj View Post
              there a fun bird to hunt best way i have found is to walk rice fieds shoot them like flushing quail just hard to hit
              Exactly.

My grandpa's got a small cattle ranch in East Bernard and when they get enough rain for the praire to get mushy with water for a week or so, you will see snipe. One time I walked it and flushed em out but they are super hard to shoot. I've only shot one. Grilled it with a jalapeno stuffed in it wrapped in bacon along with some dove. Tasted good to me, I'd clean one again.
              XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

How long was you on the hill with the potato sack between your legs & a flashlight shinning through the potato sack before he came out?????????? LMAO!!!! Back in the good ole days....
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Muddskipper View Post
                  Here is a link to hunting them in our area

PICs to

http://heritagehunting.org/forum/vie....php?f=21&t=44
                  I like the part about half way beteen dove and teal....Why don't they just say that they don't taste very good.

I know that if you brine them, lightly smoke them and then wrap them in bacon and stuff them with peppers and cheese and finish them on the grill that they taste excellent because by then you have drunk enough beer that everything tastes good.
                  Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Snipe are my favorite bird to hunt. This is a picture with the first half of a limit taken just before Christmas. Don't knock it till you try it. Just make sure you know what you are shooting. Dowitchers can look a whole lite like them on the wing.

Comment

Originally posted by RonE View Post
                      because by then you have drunk enough beer that everything tastes good.
                      Amen to that..

I shot so many last year, I just started filleting the breasts and adding the meat to my duck goint into Jalapeno Cheese Smoked Sausage. As well some other game added. Wild Turkey, Dove, Geese. Wild Hog Backstrap. It was some of the best sausage we have ever had.

Comment

I have shot many and they are a fun challange to shoot and hit.
                        Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Muddskipper...i've killed several up here. Sometime we'll go after em in the afternoons to pass time between morning duck hunts. They will test your shooting skills to the max. If you bagged a limit of snipe you've done something.

They eat good too...not far off from a dove.
                          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Cool. My coworker used to go after them quite a bit on the S. shore here. He said the key is to wait for a bull tide to really concentrate them in the dry spots on the islands, then go walking and flush 'em up. Wait... that was rails... good job on the snipe though.

Comment

Working...
                            X