Advice for a salt water rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a salt water rookie

I just joined West End Anglers and am looking for advice.

I am looking to learn more about saltwater fishing and find some people to fish with. I'm a pretty experienced freshwater fisherman and have plenty of good equipment but don't know much about the where's and how's of saltwater fishing. I don’t have a boat yet (might be 6 months to a year) so I’m interested in wade/surf fishing. I plan to hire a guide in the near future for a day or two to give me some guidance, but advice from members would be great.

Any advice for a rookie would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rick Rarick

Aqua pimp would be your man.
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Rick, pm me, I'll take you out on my boat, can't promise fish, but can promise an adventure.

Comment

There are plenty of guys out here who will help.....Welcome aboard.
        I started freshwater and moved to salt 2 1/2 years ago. It is a pretty smooth transition, but the winter is tough. Hook up with a guide....Either Capt. Steve Soule (Shallowist) - He knows a ton about walking in, or Capt. Greg Francis(Aqua Pimp).
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Yes on those guides and take up NWILKINS offer. Get the TOP SPOT fishing map for wade fishing/kayaks at Academy and it will show the places you can wade . Use saltwater hooks !! HAR-HAR !!
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Welcome aboard...Using the guides is a great idea as you see in others posts. Plugger's Top Spots idea is also spot on. Part of the fun is exploring the bay, the tides, and the effects they have on the feeding patterns of the fish. It's a lesson that really never ends.

Where will you be going out of? Driving down here, have a place here, etc?
            sigpic

Comment

And another tip...utilize Google map satellite function. It can be very revealing!!!!
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I agree with everyone so far. We just started fishing West bay last year before IKE and we hired Aqua Pimp for the day and it made a world of difference. Map from Academy and going out with a few of us will get you going.
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

look on the wade forum there are some good spots posted on some older threads..........good luck& welcome
                  I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Good advice Chris, the satellite images are helpful.
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Advice for a salt water rookie

Thanks to all for your advice.

Rick Rarick

Comment

Working...
                      X