Water on my console shelf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water on my console shelf

I may have a big problem. Ever since I had my depth finder transducer replaced-see picture of stern, lower right- I have been getting water in my storage shelf underneath the console the last three trips - see picture of console. After the first trip, I thought water was sprayed into the shelf during cleaning and didn't think much of it. Last trip out, I noticed moisture inside my PSI and fuel gauges- see picture of console , gauges are visible just under the top of the steering wheel . I could'nt figure out how water would accumulate in that dry storage shelf- I figure it must be wicking up inside the console from a cracked hull, and then I remembered all this started after the transducer replacement. I'm afraid it will start mildewing inside my console, and also start shorting out my electricals if it's showing moisture in those two gauges. I think I should first take it to another Explorer dealer to get a written evaluation for the cause of the problem and potential problems that may occur in the future before taking it back to the dealer that installed the transducer in case there are legal issues of responsibility. What do you think about why I am getting water on that shelf/gauges and potential problems ? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Get a cup holder so you won't spill your beer.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Wasn't sealed good when installed.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
        Wasn't sealed good when installed.

Yeah, but what about the potential consequences of having water up in my console ?
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Take it back to them and explain what is happening.When they hooked the transducer wire to the screen the screwed something up.Bet they'll fix it.

Comment

do you have the boat in dry storage now.is moister still present........... if it is........... get it over to the people that installed the transducer asap.
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I think that the moisture in the gauges is a separate issue than the water under the console... I have never had a raised console like yours, but after thinking about the water under the console and when I noticed it yesterday... I'm thinking that when you are cleaning the boat before putting it in storage water is standing under the console somewhere... When you start running the boat the wind is forcing the water out of the compartment and under the console... This is a simple as a RTV fix... The moisture under the gauges are really not a big deal... It is just the crystal seal leaking on the gauge... Take it in and have them change out your gauges... Just my opinion on your situation...
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yes, the boat is in dry storage and the shelf dries out. But, I am concerned about bad stuff happening down the road after they seal it properly. That's why I'm wondering about getting someone else to check it out before they seal it properly. If it's wicking into my PSI and gas gauges , where else might it be in the wiring that a few months from now or sooner could go out. What about mildew and rot ? If this gets expensive over the long haul, I want to have an independent professional evaluation to back me up. I hope it's as simple as sealing it properly and everything is fine and dandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                  I think that the moisture in the gauges is a separate issue than the water under the console... I have never had a raised console like yours, but after thinking about the water under the console and when I noticed it yesterday... I'm thinking that when you are cleaning the boat before putting it in storage water is standing under the console somewhere... When you start running the boat the wind is forcing the water out of the compartment and under the console... This is a simple as a RTV fix... The moisture under the gauges are really not a big deal... It is just the crystal seal leaking on the gauge... Take it in and have them change out your gauges... Just my opinion on your situation...

No, but thanks. After cleaning there is no water around the console and I don't put water in that shelf area. The area in and around the console is slooped towards the stern and washing water drains off. It has to be associated with the transducer replacement.

Comment

Is there a hatch on the front side of the console? My shelf is forever getting wet from power washing, rain, and occasional spray running. I just try to take all the stuff out and dry the shelf. I also keep dialectic grease on all the connections and fuse block.
                    It's a mildewed sob under there I tell ya!
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                      Is there a hatch on the front side of the console? My shelf is forever getting wet from power washing, rain, and occasional spray running. I just try to take all the stuff out and dry the shelf. I also keep dialectic grease on all the connections and fuse block.
                      It's a mildewed sob under there I tell ya!
                      Yes, the top rectangular pad below the windscreen is a storage area. I don't power wash the boat and that storage is dry after washing. The storage shelf gets wet only after being in the water. What is dialectic grease ? What about spraying Corrosion - x instead ? Thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                        Yes, the top rectangular pad below the windscreen is a storage area. I don't power wash the boat and that storage is dry after washing. The storage shelf gets wet only after being in the water. What is dialectic grease ? What about spraying Corrosion - x instead ? Thanks.
                        dialectic grease is what you use on electric connections to keep out moisture and prevent corrisions.....do a search on ytube i bet its there.
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

X2 with what Chris said and by the way, nice rig I thought you only fished out of a yak
                          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

"The storage shelf gets wet only after being in the water."

In that case you forgot to put the plugs in!
                            Seriously, I bet it's the hatch. Is it wet after a rain?
                            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Sounds to me like your water pressure gauge or speedometer is leaking under the console.

Comment

Working...
                              X