want to try duck hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to try duck hunting

i have never been duck hunting, but i fished sportsman rd. the other day and saw some hunters out there. can some one tell me what you need besides a hunting license? is there a public area you can hunt, and do you need a permit to hunt there? if so where can i get one?

thanks in advance

Nando.

You have to have your hunting licenses, federal waterfowl stamp we only have a couple weeks left in the season. I'd start scouting ASAP just because someone has setup in an area doesn't mean you shouldn't do your homework and scout and see if ducks are actually moving in the area. Coastal hunting is the hardest for new hunters as the variety of birds is greatly increased, king fishers are a nightmare they'll come in just like teal. If you've never been duck hunting I'd suggest you link up with someone and learn the silhouettes of the different ducks have them take you out time in the field is the only thing that will give you confidence on IDing a duck and making a shot. Setting out decoys, waking up at 3 -4 AM all part of the sport!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I thought looking for other hunters and following gunshots was the only way to scout...

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
        I thought looking for other hunters and following gunshots was the only way to scout...
        I've tried hard to like you

Comment

I'd definitely advise taking someone that has been at it for awhile with you...oh yeah and not mentioning precise locations like 'sportsman's road' on public forums...

Comment

yes, get someone that knows what ducks are coming in. when I started I had to wait till I heard my partner start shooting.

Comment

thanks for the advice. i will ask around to see if i can find someone to go hunting with.

thanks again.

Comment

its a blast. get out there if you get a chance. I was done with hunting cause it was boring to me until I started duck hunting.

Comment

Gilbert, when did you start duck hunting?

Comment

2002 duck season was my first.

Comment

been hunting alot since then or what?

Comment

every year. I didn't go much this year though. The guy's lease I mooch off of has had some family things to tend to.

Comment

You never once called me.

Comment

what should I call you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                              what should I call you?
                              Dad

Comment

Working...
                              X