Cutting the Cord.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting the Cord.....

....am fed up with "ConCast" jacking up their prices everytime I turn around and am looking at other options for live TV. Looking at tweaking a ROKU 3 box and have come up with some pretty good ideas. Anyone else here had any experience with by-passing the usual providers and saving some bucks?
    Thus far I have the news and hunting/fishing stuff down.

I gotta have my astros does it have root?
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

We gave up cable 25 years ago and used broadcast and video rentals. We lost broadcast when the signal went digital and stuck with DVDs. Next we we got a streaming Blu-ray player and got Netflix. Recently I got a new tv with a better tuner and we were able to get broadcast again.
      We're using SBC u-verse for wifi. They've been reasonable but not awesome.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Crudcast suxs rotten eggs. I'd rather watch dogs fark than deal with them. I got a digital antennae and am learning Spanish since that antennae picks up about 15 Spanish stations and all 'free' 'regular' stations but Channel 13. I even get ION. My 'free cable' service went to sheeat when the digital crap (thanks Congress) came about-then I had to pay $4.99/month for some BS that is just that-BS. I hope their whole cable melts and they go away forever. If ya need internet-use your phone or tablet and a wi-fi hotspot.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I cut cable 5 years ago. I can watch anything online for free. I have a laptop connected to my tv and use that. There is also a bunch of HD channels on regular broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
            I'd rather watch dogs fark than deal with them.
            sigpic

Comment

Yep, 5 years for me also. I've taken 2 trips to Anegada with the money I've saved. I just got a digital antenna for each tv. I get different channels in each room. At the camp, I got a RCA outdoor antenna and I get 67 channels, about 20 of them are useful. That's about the same as cable. I do miss Monday night football and the baseball playoffs since they went to cable, but I get a lot more done in my life too. I use an aircard for internet, but it's not the best choice for most. Can't watch videos because it eats up the bandwidth too fast and I run out of data. If I stick to email, news sans videos, and message boards, I squeak by each month.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                Yep, 5 years for me also. I've taken 2 trips to Anegada with the money I've saved. I just got a digital antenna for each tv. I get different channels in each room. At the camp, I got a RCA outdoor antenna and I get 67 channels, about 20 of them are useful. That's about the same as cable. I do miss Monday night football and the baseball playoffs since they went to cable, but I get a lot more done in my life too. I use an aircard for internet, but it's not the best choice for most. Can't watch videos because it eats up the bandwidth too fast and I run out of data. If I stick to email, news sans videos, and message boards, I squeak by each month.

tmobile android phone with hotspot. Unlimited data/talk/text and use that as your internet service you freakin caveman. geez. On the road, my kids can both watch netflix with my hotspot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                  tmobile android phone with hotspot. Unlimited data/talk/text and use that as your internet service you freakin caveman. geez. On the road, my kids can both watch netflix with my hotspot.
                  Wasting your breath man...
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

....OK, Thanks for the comments and suggestions for sure! Here is what I am working on....but it's still a work in progress.

"Free WiFi" is just around the corner so I decided to finish the build I had started with an old dish that "Primestar" just happened to leave all over the County. Did a scan after I tricked her out and at just a 12ft elevation from ground level I am able to hit the hotspot I was aware of with some pretty good speeds. With a raising of the dish receiver i made up the slide of one of the 60ft Pines here in the yard I ought to be able to get into some better hotspots and modems for a bit of tweaking.
                    Best speed I was able to test with this setup was a paltry 12meg/1.2 down up.

Comment

Just think of Sandy as a prepper/survivalist . He'll be sitting pretty when the grid goes down during the apocalypse with his wind driven , hand cranked divices . He'll slip in a DVD while cleaning his WW II carbine , and watch over his crab traps and gill nets at sunset while sipping a beer as society collapses around him .
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Cuda come rig me out I'm about to cut Comcast off !
                        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                          Just think of Sandy as a prepper/survivalist . He'll be sitting pretty when the grid goes down during the apocalypse with his wind driven , hand cranked divices . He'll slip in a DVD while cleaning his WW II carbine , and watch over his crab traps and gill nets at sunset while sipping a beer as society collapses around him .
                          And run the generators from the methane emitted from the blue barrel...
                          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

I just did a rescan and I hit 99 channels recently. The Asian channels are multiplying like, well, aw, I won't say it.

I pay $60 a month for my phone/internet Gilbert. What do you pay for that hotspot thing?
                            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Nothing. Its free. That should be right up your alley.

Comment

Working...
                              X