Looking for advice on a Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on a Reel

A couple of weeks ago I had my 65th birthday and I decided to upgrade my current casting set up with some newer technology. Looking for reliability and light weight and I fish mostly soft plastics. Currently my #1 rig is a Shimano Citica (the first model that replaced the Green Curado at the $129 price point a few years back) on a American Rodsmiths H3 rod for tails. My #2 rig is an old Green Curaro 200 (the one my repair guy offers to buy every year when I get it cleaned and tuned up) on a old Castaway rod medium/light tip for tails.
    I know that every one has an opinion so I am open to suggestions, I see a lot of marketing hype for Lews (I have 2 old BB1Ns retired that were great) and I see that Academy has this: Lew's® Tournament Laser® MG Speed Spool® Baitcast Reel Reg. $119.00 on sale for $69.99 today but I was thinking that probably it is that low for a reason.
    I have looked at the Garcia Revo (a bit confused on the multiple price points) and the current Shimano Curado. I am looking at rods as well, I have looked at the Waterloo rods and I like the feel of them but I thought I would ask for some sage advise.I am going to Fishing show either tonight or Friday night.
    Open to your ideas, and Thanks
    52M-28

I guess from my Avatar you can tell some folks think I am old school, but I'm willing to try the new stuff!

what's your $ limit for a reel?

Comment

Chronarch....I think they are discontinuing the current white one...maybe the E series...about 199...heard they were on sale for 159 at Academy, but haven't been by to look...it's the same reel as the green E series Curado I think. Great reel imo.

Comment

I really like the curado 50e7. It's very low profile and easy to palm. It may be hard to find them new, but I see them listed used quite frequently.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

thanks for the thoughts. Price range is $150 to $250.

Comment

Originally posted by 52M-28 View Post
            thanks for the thoughts. Price range is $150 to $250.

with that you can get a 13fishing Concept C or E. Both are rated for saltwater. I got to hold the reel and talk to the guys from 13fishing at the show last night. Its light and super smooth. I will soon be switching over to them.

Comment

for the rods, there is every make out at the fishing show. Play with all of them before you buy. Castaway had a deal on some Go2 rods. H&H has some real nice rods in every action you can think of. Sarge rods are nice but overpriced in my opinion. Laguna, same thing.

Comment

I really like the Lew's Inshore 151h. I bought my second one at the fishing show along with an H&H rod. Both were on sale.

JYC
                "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Abu Garcia Revo SX for about $160 . Good reel for the money . I like it's more sensitive magnetic spool brake over the centrifugal spool braking systems .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

You already have the best reel ever made the cu200 is like a 1970 chevelle SS the best is from the past.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbas kenner View Post
                      You already have the best reel ever made the cu200 is like a 1970 chevelle SS the best is from the past.
                      He's got a point.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Concept 13 in my future
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Concept 13..... Been fishing the C for almost a year and love it. Bought the A a few months ago and love it to.

AQUA PIMP
                          AQUA PIMP......
                          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^ I saw the pimp sporting the Concept 13 yesterday and I have been eyeballing them all day online. I think I just might pull the trigger on one. I like the extreme low profile look and it seems they reel in more fish..
                            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

I looked at the Concept 13 last night at the fishing show, and yes, it feels good, but my question is repair and parts.
                              All repairs will be in Tampa and you have to send to them. The old Diawa Millionaire was like this when they knocked off the 5000c just enough to call it a different reel but you had to mail it to Gardenia, Calif. to get it repaired. Although after fishing with the pimp a couple of times and seeing what he expects/demands from his equipment, I may rethink my concerns about repairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X