Depth finder issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth finder issue

I bought a HUMMINBIRD PIRANHAMAX 170 FISHFINDER from Academy this past summer. I chose the Hummingbird as I was replacing an older model and thought I could reuse the transmitter that was already installed on my Carolina Skiff. Unfortunately the cable connecting the transmitter to the main unit was different so I installed the new transmitter per Hummingbirds instructions. My problem is that I am not getting real readings when my boat is under power. I can be siiting in 2 feet of water and getting a true reading but as soon as I power up the reading goes to 700+ feet. Has anyone experienced this or know the solution?
    Proud supporter of Oak Ridge High School Athletics?

It appears you have fried your crystal ion modulator transmitter. Probably when you hooked up the old one to the new system. This happens when the decoder interprets the signal(different than your new unit) causing a fragmentation of the signal(due to changes in the mother board programming) Once this happens the unit sends an erradict signal back to the modulator. This will cause a harmonic inbalance in the return signal by producing a standing wave frequency. In turn heats up your transmitter frying the crystals in it. Your unit is probable still imbalanced and needs a reboot. Problem is you need a tech sauvy person to do that however look for a little hole by the power button. It will be small but big enough to stick a paper clip it. With the unit on stick the paper clip in it and hold for ten seconds. Turn off the unit and turn back on. If that dont solve it your in major poo!!! Hope you have the recipe to return it. Good luck and welcome aboard!!!!
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kent St Skiff View Post
      I bought a HUMMINBIRD PIRANHAMAX 170 FISHFINDER from Academy this past summer. I chose the Hummingbird as I was replacing an older model and thought I could reuse the transmitter that was already installed on my Carolina Skiff. Unfortunately the cable connecting the transmitter to the main unit was different so I installed the new transmitter per Hummingbirds instructions. My problem is that I am not getting real readings when my boat is under power. I can be siiting in 2 feet of water and getting a true reading but as soon as I power up the reading goes to 700+ feet. Has anyone experienced this or know the solution?

What type boat....shallowsports are bad due to the tunnel. Not HB, but my Lowrance never worked running except when trolling.
      Don't be a Nancy!
      If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

It is a 19' flat bottom Carolina Skiff.

Comment

Unless ya fried it like Corndog said, maybe try locating at different spot on transom. I tossed my Hummingbird out (old model) because no matter what I did as far as placement it wouldn't read worth a darn while running-I figured it was due to the hockey puck type design and not hydrodynamic so caused bubbles to create interference. Mine wasn't a tunnel either or jonboat.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I don't think it's fried cause the connection would'nt hook up. Make sure you are at least 18" or more away from the lower unit (interferance) and that the transducer is actually below the transom enough to be in the water while under power. That should do it unless You have a sensitivity adjustment on the unit itself that needs adjusting. My 2 cents.
            Beandaddy
            Last edited by Beandaddy; January 14, 2010, 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am leaning towards replacing it. I will look for a sensitivity adjustment but considering these are fairly inexpensive I am not going to spend a considerable amount of time on it. It is interesting that Robalo had the same issue with his Hummingbird. I will have to do some research before i buy another unit.

Comment

It may be that I didn't place it deep enuf or too deep-I "followed" the mounting directions but still had problems. I didn't like that unit much and after trying up and down and moving it, it still was not reading good and a buddy had a Lowrance and it worked in 2-3' waves, so I bought a Lowrance-the transducer on them are bullet shaped and I have never had a reading problem (unit cooked in radiobox though and another I have won't "Load"). Try moving it around before spending the money. Good luck and good fishing.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                  It may be that I didn't place it deep enuf or too deep-I "followed" the mounting directions but still had problems. I didn't like that unit much and after trying up and down and moving it, it still was not reading good and a buddy had a Lowrance and it worked in 2-3' waves, so I bought a Lowrance-the transducer on them are bullet shaped and I have never had a reading problem (unit cooked in radiobox though and another I have won't "Load"). Try moving it around before spending the money. Good luck and good fishing.
                  I'm sorry, mine wasn't a Lowrance, it was a Garmin. I want a Lowrance, the Garmin didn't work while running. My friends SeaPro has the same problem...with a Garmin unit.
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

You can use the transom mounted transducers as through hull cant you?

Comment

I even tried "Through Hull" and it wasn't worth a darn at all. I understand (that's saying I aint sure, but heard) that through hull also decreases efficiency some, so some stuff may not show up as good-may not be important as much in the bay, but lakes and offshore it would be.

SFEF84: I think you need to check what the unit/transducer is set up for-that Hummingbird puck I did fix in the hull, but had even worse readings-prolly boat material affected it some-was an old boat with wood and glass. I noticed one area on it where I drill I hit aluminum, which prolly affected it if it was in the mounting area.

KENT: call Hummingbird and ask them what they say you should do.
                      Last edited by Robalo; January 14, 2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I have a Lowrance and it will read depth @ full throttle. I remember some years ago My Dad bought a Hummingbird and it would'nt read above idle. Maybe You do need a Lowrance. I have a M68i I think, small, not too expensive and works pretty good. Depth,Water Temp, GPS and maps built in.
                        Beandaddy

Comment

My Garmin won't read while running, too much turbulence. Why do you need it to read running anyway?
                          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I guess I was just expected it to work while under power. My only experience with depth finders has been with units that work continuously.

Comment

I might have an old Furono paper machine laying around. I personally don't use a depth finder. If I can see a crab trap above the surface, I know that it is too shallow, other than that, running WOT you shoud be OK in most situations.
                              Last edited by RonE; January 14, 2010, 07:55 PM.
                              Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Working...
                              X