Battery cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery cables

Man does yamaha love theirs.$176 for a 150 hp. Any reason I cant make some.

Don't know if there is anything stopping you, but the price of wire is outrageous now. I wonder how the price would compare?
    Scott
    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

i made my 22' cables, no issues at all.

Comment

West Marine has the 6 gauge (coated copper) wire, pick up some connectors and you're in business. If interested, PM me if you're looking to make some pigtails. I may have some short lengths of 6 gauge and connector left over that I can part with.

Comment

Mighty nice of Coon. Greenie to him! No reason ya can't make your own-just make darn sure you shrinkwrap/seal them at connectors real well and when connecting battery leads to engine leads, use SS and also shrinkwrap and paint with liquid elect. tape. Because Dawson marine used galvanized bolts for my connects, I got to drift West bay for an hour or so over about $1 worth of parts after the galvanized nut and bolt rotted and parted in less than 1 year.
          Last edited by Robalo; January 20, 2010, 10:15 AM.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

you need to use #2 if you have a 150 hp motor. I only use #4 on 115 and under at our shop.

Comment

Originally posted by TXSHOCKWAVE View Post
              you need to use #2 if you have a 150 hp motor. I only use #4 on 115 and under at our shop.
              ...your right...#6 is the # of adult beverages I typically buy...my bad...

Comment

I made mine also no issues.
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Yamaha

Copper is going for a pretty price these days but Yamaha parts have traces of gold in them My buddy had to be towed in last year with his Yamaha because of some cables laying on the bottom of the boat where salt water could corrode them. If they have corrosion and look grayish they need to be trimmed off until you get a good copper color. When you get it fixed give it a shot of Corrosion X to prevent future problems. That stuff works great on your trailer leaf springs also. Later
                  Fishwhisperer

Comment

Well we used a set of 4gauge jumper cables.I use corrosion x on lots of stuff.Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rtoler View Post
                      Copper is going for a pretty price these days but Yamaha parts have traces of gold in them My buddy had to be towed in last year with his Yamaha because of some cables laying on the bottom of the boat where salt water could corrode them. If they have corrosion and look grayish they need to be trimmed off until you get a good copper color. When you get it fixed give it a shot of Corrosion X to prevent future problems. That stuff works great on your trailer leaf springs also. Later
                      It pays to be very careful with the cables that run from the battery to the motor, especially if they run under the deck. If there is a nick in the insulation and salt water (any water) can get to the copper, over time it will corrode and will not support the load required to start the engine.

I ran my battery cables through a old garden hose and then pulled them through the chase under the deck for extra protection. I have experience with corroded cables. It is embarrasing when your boat won't start and you have frineds fishing with you.
                      Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

You're dead on Ron!! Especially when drifting because no can start and they drink all the beer!! It makes ya want to make them walk the plank and have em wade/swim ya to the dock (especially if getting low on "beverages"!!!)!!
                        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Last set I did put the end caps in a vice heated them with a torch and filled with solder then stuck the trimmed wire in and held till it hardened. Pull piece of shrink wrap up and shrink it to place when you are happy with the solder job.

end be reheated carefully and the end pulled out and redone if it moves or screws up..

Comment

Working...
                          X