Corky repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corky repair

What do you use to dip your beat and eat up corky to get it looking like new?

Anyone know what type of paint that Paul used to paint his Corkies with? I paint the hard baits and have one of the old cheap sprayers.

After the a-- whipping a board member put on me last week I need to get my old odd colored corkies to look a little more white and ch.

Not sure it would have mattered the second time out. Never had thrown corkies before and had a few. Say 10 fish for and 25 + against.

Second wade lost my corky and iit was 1 for and 20?? against. Tough when you are there 15 yards apart and 1 bite against15 -20 fish plus his misses. I did my best in true post licker form. I moved closer, Moved to the other side, moved father out into deeper water even finally borrowed an old corky in the color he was throwing and . It was bad case of A-- whipping. Tried c5's and plastics and nada.

Guess I need advanced potlicking lessons or more corky fishing lessons.

jim

Jim,
    I just super glue the slices and reuse them. No idea on the paint. I lost my 2 last pink ones in 2 trips last month and it is killing me, but the bone/Chart is my go to color and I still have 3.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I have 3 bone chart, 2 glow, one pink devil, original and fatboy. Plus my box of corky originals from 12 years ago. I never have them long enough to have to worry about paint. Always end up losing them.

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
        I have 3 bone chart, 2 glow, one pink devil, original and fatboy. Plus my box of corky originals from 12 years ago. I never have them long enough to have to worry about paint. Always end up losing them.
        I thought working at FTU all those years ago they'd at least teach you the proper way of tying fishing line onto a hook
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I use permanent markers-you can get a box of all colors like a crayon box. I use the pink to make the lure all pink colored or deepen the back and stomach only in pink. If you have the halogram corky, you can color it with any colors you have in the box. Make a black back with a regular black permanent marker. They do bleed in deeper than applied, so put some on and wait several hours and check it. You can add more.
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

since they will sell it for 7.99 a piece...if u want to reuse them just super gule the slices together and let it dry for a couple of hours then ur good to go...about the paint i never had any paints that fade away yet..gotta be careful with them now lol..they will be expensive soon

Comment

Jake

What type of paint did Paul use to paint his plastics?

I got my butt kicked the other day not having a glow ch corky.

I paint a lot of my old plugs but need to find white and ch in the type of paint that Paul used. I can make the gold one look a little better till the new baits come out.

Like the new baits. When will they be out?

Thanks Jim, the paint is a PVC based paint. It's a royal pain in the butt to use and get licensing to transport it if ya know what I mean. I've heard that this stuff works well on our lures as well as others:

Lure and jig finish remains flexible making it almost impossible to chip.

Glad to see that the jig paint will work. Gander Mt. has some colors.

I use the water based paint to paint spooks and such.

I remember that Paul had some of the old guns to spray the lures with.

I have one that will work so what do you mix the jig paint with?

Fig you have to spray really thin to get the jig paint to work.

You can use the cheapy Harbor Freight airbrush kits (10 bux with fittings) to spray the lures and honestly that's the best to use if you're going to spray them since they're almost disposable. Mixing 80/20 of retarder/thinner is what we have to do to make sure the paint doesn't cure and clog up the airbrush. I would buy their thinner/retarder since it's a certain formula for PCV paint.

Comment

Get a can of M.E.K. paint thinner from Home Depot and a can of clear pvc glue and mix 50-50 in a jar deep enough to sink corky. Tie line to eyelet and drop in for approx. 15-20 sec. you will see a haze around the body of the corky then remove and let dry in warm area. Any big tears need to be repaired first with super glue then dipped. Make sure corky is dry throughly before dipping or you will get bubbles on the body. They come out almost like new and shinny. If they have excessive bite marks repeat step twice.
                Last edited by Rockfish; January 29, 2010, 06:54 PM. Reason: spell

Comment

We'll go again Jim and give you a chance to get even! What Rockfish said is how to make those corkys look like new.

Comment

will that resin they dip circuit boards work as well.
                    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I have about a hundred of them, i tried to buy him out before he closed. And, 9 bucks a pop, I'll be taking good care of these dudes.

Comment

FWIW Now that there are corkys in some parts of Houston there is no need but the jig head paint that Jake recommended did not work on the old corkys I tried it on. Peeled right off. Possibly with some type of cleaner to prep the old bait...

Comment

TTT.The super glue does work but i'm interested in the rockfish way that he posted but don't have one that far gone YET.
                          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                          X