braid and leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braid and leaders

Do you need a shock leader while using braided line? I couldn't find a answer searching the forum
    Green grass and high tides forever
    Mike Mathena

It's all a matter of what you like. I use a fluorocarbon leader, others like mono or tie on directly. Try it out and see what you prefer.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I usually tie the smallest snap swivel I can get away with, but the last batch were all loose and coming apart so I'm ready for a change, I have a spool of heavy mono or floro I can't remember which but I plan on trying some leaders this weekend.
      Mike Mathena

Comment

30# Suffix Performance Pro to 20# fluorocarbon leader, no swivel. If you tangle up, the fluoro breaks before the line and you don't lose a lot of line......IMHO.
        Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
        "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Grown in Tx, try Tony Clips instead of snap swivels. They're quicker and stronger than snaps.

Comment

I took some advice and ordered those tactical fishing clips#50 yesterday along with a new Penn 4000 spincast, I'll try some knots that were talked about I a different thread on the leaders this weekend and try them new clips next weekend
            Mike Mathena

Comment

Uni to uni knot on 30lb power pro connected to a 20 - 30 lb flouro leader works great for me. I like Seagar flouro the best, easiest to tie. 30lb leader for winter/structure fishing and lighter for summer/flats wade fishing. 4 wraps is all you need on the uni.

Comment

Cool, the uni is one I was thinking about trying.
                Thanks for the responses. I need to make a choice and pick up another spool of heavy line, my wife thinks she packed my other one with the Halloween decorations last year and I ain't digging that stuff out for a few more months.
                Mike Mathena

Comment

I always use the Albright knot. It passes through the guides nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by grown in Tx View Post
                    Do you need a shock leader while using braided line? I couldn't find a answer searching the forum
                    no you don't

Comment

Working...
                    X