Greens Lake, 9/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greens Lake, 9/6

I was woken up at 6:00 by my 6 year old son, who wanted to get out and fish this morning. Not being one to turn down the opportunity to be in the water with my boy, I made a pot of coffee, rigged up the popping cork rods, and left Sugar Land by 6:45 to get to the Yacht Basin...after a whatburger pit stop. The little man HAS to have a cheeseburger and fries before he fishes, as is tradition...even in the morning.

I called the drystack on the way, and we packed everything into the boat once we got there. Dry stack is awesome, they had the boat in the water waiting for me when I got there. Unfortunately, they had just run out of live bait, so instead of shrimp, we rigged up some new penny gulps under the corks with 1/8 oz jig heads. With that, we were off to Greens.

Immediately he asked to drive the boat. We have an East Cape Vantage, so it's easy for him to stand up and see where he is going, with me right behind him on the throttle. We kept the boat at 20 mph, and he drove all the way to Greens...he was very proud. I should have known that the fishing request was a clever ruse to get him behind the wheel!

Got to Greens eventually, and worked over the west grass lines. Mullet were jumping here and there, but there was little bait activity. No bites, and an hour later he was getting impatient, as 6 year olds do. We moved to some other areas looking for nervous water, or tails, or something, but found nothing interested.

Eventually my son had enough, so I continued with some chickenboy chicken on a chain shad, but nothing was biting. We did see a small shark, and that got him interested.

Headed back, this time with me driving, and my son trying to get all of the barge traffic to honk at him...which worked all to well. He was excited with each sounding of the horn.

All in all, a good day with my son on the water. So thankful he likes the outdoors more than his Nintendo.

Winds out of the west, 4-8mph, dirty green water, and 90+ degrees outside.

Sounds like the little man and dad had a great time on the water. Nothing like driving the boat when you are 6...

Comment

Excellent post! Sounds like fun!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Greens Lake, 9/6

Two thumbs up too ya!!! Excellent report!
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Sounds like a fun day, you'll get them next time.

Comment

Interesting fun post , thanks for sharing . It's always good to see a dad spending time with the children .
            One can get a cheeseburger at 7 am at Whataburger !? Good to know .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Greens Lake, 9/6

Thanks guys, it was a good day. And, yes, you can get whatqburger's at 7:00 in the morning! Kiddo is a string bean, but eats like a horse.

Comment

Sounds like he had a good time, good lessons on patience are learned on slow days.
                Green grass and high tides forever
                Mike Mathena

Comment

You have a keeper! Likes to drive the boat, fish and loves Whataburger.., great job!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by S-troop View Post
                    You have a keeper! Likes to drive the boat, fish and loves Whataburger.., great job!

Sent from my iPhone
                    X2. Raising 'em right.

Comment

Sounds like a great time to
                      me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by S-troop View Post
                        You have a keeper! Likes to drive the boat, fish and loves Whataburger..,
                        Sent from my iPhone
                        My thoughts exactly . My kind of fishing partner .
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                        X