13 fishing concept C review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 fishing concept C review

I bought a c model about 6 weeks ago, i thought it had a really nice design and great features. Ive been a shimano fanatic for years but i just wanted to try something different.
    So first impression out of the box is that the reel is very light and smooth as glass. The freespool with factory bearings was noticeably lomger than a chronarch e model right out of the box.
    The drag (22lbs) was very responsive and seems smooth and consistent after testing it a few differemt ways before hitting the water.
    I spooled up with 30 lb regular power pro and a 17 lb fluoro leader after mounting it on a ftu green rod,6'6 med light.
    Set the drag to about 3 lbs.
    A few days later i walk in with fp10. I was very happy with the casting and feel of this reel,it seemed to outcast my chronarchs even with upgraded bearings and was super comfortable to palm even with my somewhat stocky hands.
    The trout were slow andat about 10am we started flounder fishing the docks we could wade to.
    Jeremy went the other way and found some solid flounder, i stubbornly stayed behind and started catching average sized fish.
    The first few fish the reel did great on, very solid hookset and was smooth and strong everywhere youd want it to be.
    It was also easy to go from casting spooks to pitching small jigs while still staying accurate and backlash free despite 12 mph gusts.
    Thecork knobs are a little on the thick side and i fumbled when reaching for one a time or two but they c
    Kept good traction even with fish slime and a little saltwater on them.
    So im ecstatic so far... then after said fish slime and A LITTLE saltwater gets on the reel i start hearing and feeling a weird clicking noise. It seems to be coming from the spool so i yank on the line and the anti reverse totally fails accompanied by a grinding clacking sound.
    I had to use my thumb to back up the drag on the next 2 fish for my limit plus it started making noise on the retrieve and feeling "out of time" at random.
    I get home and contact 13 fishing, i tell them my story amd of course i get a bunch of crap about how "weird" and "unusual" that was.
    Im good at working on reels so i just ask if they have any idea what would cause this as i dont have the patience to send it in so soon. I get no response to the question, they just say send it in.
    I take it apart to find two free floating clicker points! Cool! Theyre about .125 long so it took me an our to find them.
    The inside of the reel is soaked in brine and i give you all my word it wasnt dunked or hit by a wave.
    I clean and re grease things, blow the bearings out and arduosly put it back together due to the clickers.
    It seems okay, next trip same thing happens. I send it in and in the meantie buy another brand new one thinking it had to be a fluke.
    First trip out with fp10to west baythe same basic thing happens. Its like the toleances are totally off and the reel just falls apart with a little water exposure and jostling.
    The thumbar started sticking too and the handle had to be torqued to re-engage the spool.
    I contact 13 fishing. So sorry, so weird blah blah blah. Send it in at my expense.
    I recieve a brand new one in the mail, spool it THE #@*&/^# LEVEL WIND WONT TRAVEL ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT!!! Its effed right out of the box.i take it apart, it was cut wrong so it is beyond repair in my opinion.
    I contact 13 fishing and they say they're going to shim it when i send it in and provide me with more part #19 so i can shim the other one theyre sending me .
    I see this as admittance by 13 fishing that they cant turn out a working reel for 230$ except now and then when they and they buyer gets lucky.
    Ill post up my email correspondence with reid miller at 13 fishing if possible and yall would like to read them.
    I also posted this on tackltour.com under the support forum for 13 fishing. I got a fairly incompetent response from 13 fishing there too . Its like they didn't even fully read my post.
    Oh and 13 fishing paid for the shipping on the 3rd reel just to be fair.
    Its safe to say i wont be taking anymore chances with them.
    Also, sorry for the typos. Im usimg a tablet and i suck with it.

What should we do with them Robalo?
    =)

Man I've had no issues at all with the 13 A. Not sure what the deal is. I know several of the guides around that use them and swear by them. You're not hammering nails with them or something are you? Doorstop? Pancake flipper?
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nope, everyone seems suprised by my experience so maybe I just got extremely unlucky. I really wanted to like them but on principal alone I feel like just ditching the company altogether.

Comment

Team reel pimp said he had one break on him the first trip too. Think he said it was the handle though.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyBass View Post
          What should we do with them Robalo?
          =)
          Robalo's been around the block too many times to opine; just in case they are owned by a bunch of trial attorneys that love the courthouse.

Comment

Great review, I'm fortunate to only have experienced the first (good) half of your experience. My Concept C has put a smile on my face since the first cast. Hearing about the poor customer service is concerning...

Comment

Originally posted by Listos? View Post
              Great review, I'm fortunate to only have experienced the first (good) half of your experience. My Concept C has put a smile on my face since the first cast. Hearing about the poor customer service is concerning...
              Yep, that's the reason a bought a second while the other was being replaced, when it works right it's truly an awesome reel.

Comment

I have been using a Concept A since January and it has been great. Great casting down to 1/16 oz. jig and smooth drag on larger reds. I will say that I have some concerns about the repair deal of only sending it back to the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by 52M-28 View Post
                  I have been using a Concept A since January and it has been great. Great casting down to 1/16 oz. jig and smooth drag on larger reds. I will say that I have some concerns about the repair deal of only sending it back to the factory.
                  I wish 13 fishing would communicate with me a little more candidly. If they would at least own up and say that they had a bad run of reels or something and just take the time to qc the reels they were sending me back I'd be content with the whole thing but instead they act like it's just a fluke and they don't know how to address it.
                  3 bad reels in a row, hard to believe it's just a coincidence.

Comment

Thanks for the review. I think you cursed the reel from the beginning since you went with fp10.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                      Thanks for the review. I think you cursed the reel from the beginning since you went with fp10.
                      Didnt you loose your yak today Gibbey ?
                      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                        Didnt you loose your yak today Gibbey ?

I did. Christmas Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                          I did. Christmas Bay.
                          What! How'd you lose your yak? ?

Comment

He went wading and came back to nothing ! Glad he had a phone to call me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                              He went wading and came back to nothing ! Glad he had a phone to call me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Been there. Glad he made it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X