1-31-2010 sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-31-2010 sunday

Sunday of last weekend was the best weather day to fish and I couldn't wait another week... had to give it a go. Wind was NE-NNE 10 MPH or less, 2 hours of dead calm at sunset, water clear, light cloud cover, strong incoming tide beginning around 1 PM, air temp mid 40's. My plan was to fish around upper West bay and be at the reef near where I launched at sunset and fish the near shoreline point as the water swept around the reef point for a big trout. I arrived at 11:30 AM with the tide outgoing and ready to bottom out. This reef is parellel to the channel leading to Offat's bay. I thought being near deep water , it had potential at sunset. I fished around the reef and adjoining boat lane into the subdivision nearby.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Continued

I then headed north to another reef where a group of pelicans were sitting near the intracoastal canal and causeway bridge.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Continued

I had printed out a Google Earth image of the area to help me navigate around. I wanted to then go to my prime area, the reef south of the old intracoastal canal entrance on the causeway side, but got turned around and instead went to South Deer Island. I came around the south side of the island and on around to the old intracoastal north side before I realized where I was actually.
      Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I went back to the SW point of the island and fished the deep chanel and adjacent flats with the tide coming in strong. Had some loons and pelicans and seagulls here and there, but no fish.
        Attached Files

Comment

END

I then went to the galveston shoreline to fish my way back towards the first reef where I wanted to be at sunset near my launch point, but passed the entrance to sweetwater lake and decided I hadn't had a strike all day and the bayou looked fishy. So, I changed plans and drift fished my way up the bayou with the incoming tide until after dark. NOTHING !! I paddled and fished my way back to the reef where I launched throwing a black super spook, fished around the reef's point and got back to my truck at 8 PM. When I plotted my route on Google earth, I had gone 9 miles ! No fish , but not for a lack of trying. Still, I got my fishing fix, fished some areas I had not fished before so learned a little something new. Next weekend might be better I hope.
          Attached Files

Comment

as allways a pictursque report.....man were the old arms sore after that paddle...............good luck next time henry
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Great detailed report.Nice pics.Better catching next time
              Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Dude... awesome report! Hope no one gets upset at your revealing of a "secret" spot Although that might only be when you are catchin.

That is a heck of a lot of paddling, makes me feel lazy.

Good choice in spots for the NE wind (although I try to stay away from midbay reefs for any wind over 12 knots, just more comfortable). There is a really big reef mid-bay, with a long shell arm that extends E. The tide goes over the top of it, and I've seen some fish caught from the down-current side. I also like drifting the guts between SD and the visible portion of CR.

Sounds like one heck of a scouting trip, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great report Plugger......Way to get out there and give it a shot!
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                    Dude... awesome report! Hope no one gets upset at your revealing of a "secret" spot Although that might only be when you are catchin.

That is a heck of a lot of paddling, makes me feel lazy.

Good choice in spots for the NE wind (although I try to stay away from midbay reefs for any wind over 12 knots, just more comfortable). There is a really big reef mid-bay, with a long shell arm that extends E. The tide goes over the top of it, and I've seen some fish caught from the down-current side. I also like drifting the guts between SD and the visible portion of CR.

Sounds like one heck of a scouting trip, thanks for sharing.
                    Thanks for the input. Haven't had any angry PM's yet about my revealing locations !

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                      Thanks for the input. Haven't had any angry PM's yet about my revealing locations !
                      Good report Henry!
                      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Nice report, Ive fished that area before, but we enter from another launch. Very common area I fished prior from owning a kayak. Good to wade, from your launch all the way to sweetwater entrance.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Haven't had any angry PM's yet about my revealing locations !
                            PM sent
                            There's your first one!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                              There's your first one!

LOL...nothing bad to say,!

Comment

Working...
                              X