barometric pressure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barometric pressure!

i heard that if the barometric pressure is to high that the fish dont bite how true is that. does anyone if this is true and if it is does anyone know where to look up the pressure for certain days and places .

Rick,

It definately makes a difference.

I hate fishing high pressure...
    Capt. Thomas Barlow
    281-827-6815
    www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

i believe in it and you can find it on weather underground i think but im not sure. just google around for it its easy to find

Comment

thanks for the advise

Comment

It is also on the weather buoys that are located on the home page under buoy reports. I think the only one currently showing pressure is Eagle Point. it is also on Weather underground.

Falling pressure is typically better, but there are many other factors to consider also....lunar cycle....tidal movement....water temp etc.
          I fish when I can and don't worry about it too much. If you present it right and get it right in front of them, they will eat it!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

high pressure fish deep low pressure fish shallow
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

really been watching the pressure changes and trout bite, more lately than I ever did. Found a few interesting notable trends. Trout don't seem to like steady pressure, whether it's steady flat, moving up or down for a long period. That seems to create a lull. If it's travelling up or down for a long period, then moves the opposite direction, that will often trigger a feed. The tricky part is what do you attribute that to? Most of the time when the pressure hits a "switch" like that, it coincides with a moon occurence or tide swing. sometimes it's all of the above. it's tough for me with limited meteoralogical skills and equipment to say which is the driver and which are the results.

Steady is boring, really high usually brings a slower bite, closer to the bottom. Really low pressure, never can tell what they will do, but if you catch it low when it starts back up, hold on tight. Same thing when it's really high and first starts dropping.
              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

High Pressure if fun off shore
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

thanks all for the good information

Comment

great info thanks west enders im gonna keep my eyes on it .

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa... I was under the impression that due to the swim bladder, high pressure was better (normal), vs low pressure that causes the swim bladder to expand, discomforting the fish and leaving them inactive (as far as feeding goes) until the pressure stabilizes.

Comment

If pressure 29.90 and lowering one day and the bite is on and the next day it's 30.00 and rising, you might as well go home. if it's over 30 a few days in a row fish, they can't go without feeding two days in a row. Heard that from a famous guide

Comment

Originally posted by Nwilkins View Post
                          If pressure 29.90 and lowering one day and the bite is on and the next day it's 30.00 and rising, you might as well go home. if it's over 30 a few days in a row fish, they can't go without feeding two days in a row. Heard that from a famous guide
                          X2 -- I still just fish when I can but this is always the case. Well said!
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I haven't looked at the exact pressure yesterday, but I know that it was high. I would say that we actually had a good day on quality trout, during the tournament. I personally caught at least 10 trout over 3 pounds, never broke 5 pounds (landed) but the overall numbers weren't bad. it's more about understanding what the pressure will do to the fish and how they will react. They don't stop eating, and existing just because the pressure gets high!!!! They do change their behavior though.

Don't go home just because the pressure is high, change your tactics! The fish will still bite at some time during the day. Tournaments have taught me well that you have to fish through some very tough conditions some times to come out on top. The most important thing day in, and day out, is to be where the fish are and keep casting.
                            http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

That's all good stuff and true. But a high pressure is tough and not as good as a falling or low pressure.
                              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                              X