• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday's Windy Report

Wind: ESE@ 25-30, cloudy & rainy
    Cond: 3" visability with a higher than normal tide
    Lure: 3/8 oz jig head with margarita sand ell
    Fish were feeding on schooling shad in 4-6ft of water

Even though the weather report was'nt ideal, with only one day off, I had to give it a try. We hit Sylvan and did a quick loop where we finally found some better water near the yacht club. We made one long drift thru where some birds had been working earlier, but found nothing for the effort. After some discussion and tired of battling 3 ft chop we headed back to the ramp and decided to drive around to Anahuac.

We arrived at the ramp around 10:30 and in no time we were on the water and cruisin around looking for some signs. The water in jacks was pretty torn up so we headed back to find some protection from the wind. It was howling out of the ESE and blowing right down the Anahuac shore except for one little pocket of relativly decent water. Low and behold there were large shad every where, heres your sign! After setting up a drift that would cover 2ft to 6ft of water, the first 10 cast and I was rewarded with a huge strike from a large trout. It came out of the water shaking that head from side to side like you wouldn't believe. Well the hookup didn't hold and I lost it, but 2 cast later and I hooked up on another and this time it held. 23 1/2" fat girl, unfortunately she took it deep, so deep I couldn't even see the jig head.

Well that was it for the day, 4 more drifts thru that same area and nothing more to show. Here's where it got hairy, we were in my buddie's 22' Whaler, which is a good sturdy boat. well about 3 months ago he hit something that did a little damage to the starboard side. It was what appeared to be a small crack but wasn't leaking any water. Evidently the crack had gotten worse with all the pounding we took earlier when we put in at Sylvan and finally parted. We were running back to the dock and when we shutdown, so as not to swamp some dock workers, the boat listed big time to starboard. I really thought we were fixing to roll. We kicked it into gear and I started checking hatches, there was water blowing out deck screw holes on the starboard side. Fortunately we were near the dock and got the old whaler out before she rolled. Turns out that he had a 5ft crack down the bottom near the outside starboard chine. You could put your hand in it... it was that split. I guess it was a good thing we were in a whaler. Any other boat and I feel I would of been doing my best 007 impression.

Only got one picture and that was with the cell, did get some with the camera but it was just a box shot and I havent downloaded it yet. Not a bad day for being so freaking windy. I believe Friday morning may warrant a wade after work.
    Last edited by FlatoutFishin; November 11, 2008, 07:23 PM.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
    Wind: ESE@ 25-30, cloudy & rainy
    Cond: 3" visability with a higher than normal tide
    Lure: 3/8 oz jig head with margarita sand ell
    Fish were feeding on schooling shad in 4-6ft of water

Even though the weather report was'nt ideal, with only one day off, I had to give it a try. We hit Sylvan and did a quick loop where we finally found some better water near the yacht club. We made one long drift thru where some birds had been working earlier, but found nothing for the effort. After some discussion and tired of battling 3 ft chop we headed back to the ramp and decided to drive around to Anahuac.

We arrived at the ramp around 10:30 and in no time we were on the water and cruisin around looking for some signs. The water in jacks was pretty torn up so we headed back to find some protection from the wind. It was howling out of the ESE and blowing right down the Anahuac shore except for one little pocket of relativly decent water. Low and behold there were large shad every where, heres your sign! After setting up a drift that would cover 2ft to 6ft of water, the first 10 cast and I was rewarded with a huge strike from a large trout. It came out of the water shaking that head from side to side like you wouldn't believe. Well the hookup didn't hold and I lost it, but 2 cast later and I hooked up on another and this time it held. 23 1/2" fat girl, unfortunately she took it deep, so deep I couldn't even see the jig head.

Well that was it for the day, 4 more drifts thru that same area and nothing more to show. Here's where it got hairy, we were in my buddie's 22' Whaler, which is a good sturdy boat. well about 3 months ago he hit something that did a little damage to the starboard side. It was what appeared to be a small crack but wasn't leaking any water. Evidently the crack had gotten worse with all the pounding we took earlier when we put in at Sylvan and finally parted. We were running back to the dock and when we shutdown, so as not to swamp some dock workers, the boat listed big time to starboard. I really thought we were fixing to roll. We kicked it into gear and I started checking hatches, there was water blowing out deck screw holes on the starboard side. Fortunately we were near the dock and got the old whaler out before she rolled. Turns out that he had a 5ft crack down the bottom near the outside starboard chine. You could put your hand in it... it was that split. I guess it was a good thing we were in a whaler. Any other boat and I feel I would of been doing my best 007 impression.

Only got one picture and that was with the cell, did get some with the camera but it was just a box shot and I havent downloaded it yet. Not a bad day for being so freaking windy. I believe Friday morning may warrant a wade after work.
    There wasn't any indicators? It's an eerie feeling when that boat rolls over.....something I wouldn't ever wish on anyone. Glad ya'll made it back ok.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
      There wasn't any indicators? It's an eerie feeling when that boat rolls over.....something I wouldn't ever wish on anyone. Glad ya'll made it back ok.

Nope none at all...we were drifting and idling in, then drifting out. It was pretty rough when we ran back into Jacks. Could of hit something then, not really sure. When it came apart it did it quick. He knew that there was a good scratch or gouge, but it had never taken water before.
      Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Whalers are solid but it is still a scary situation in any boat. I agree a lesser boat would have ya'll swimming. I am glad ya'll got out ok. Nice trout too.

M.M.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Was there no AUTO Bilge?
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
            Was there no AUTO Bilge?
            I'll never own another auto bilge. Only as a higher water alarm type...anything can get stuck under that float and if it runs without water going thru it, it's history.
            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              Was there no AUTO Bilge?
              No, but it wouldn't of mattered with this leak, it was way to big.
              Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Glad yall made in safely.Congrats on the big girl
                NK
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Damm!!! I've had that sinking feeling one time with a cracked hull... not good at all!

Comment

Ya'll were very lucky! Good to hear ya'll made it in safely. Good report

AQUA PIMP
                    AQUA PIMP......
                    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Working...
                    X