6/11: Red on a clouser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/11: Red on a clouser

I slept in Sunday. Wandered down to the boat stall in the rain. Tinkered with the boat; organized my tackle. I put the boat in about 10. There was a flyfishing and skiff meet up in Bayou Vista I planned to attend.

I went out in Jones and messed around and then into the DC looking for any decent water (there was none). While drifting along chunking soft plastics I kept hearing some bait crashing behind me. I saw some reds cruising the shoreline, eased over toward them and was fortunate enough to have one come close enough for a cast. I picked up the fly rod and laid out a flying mess of fly line, leader and fly. I got just enough of the heap out in front of the red to mend up the mess and roll cast the fly a bit closer. A couple of strips and he took it.

I went to the fly fishing meet up and passed a good time. 8 or 10 skiffs, rod demos and a casting clinic by Steve Soule.

I got home before the rain came back.

Last edited by Jerkyourcroaker; June 13, 2016, 07:23 PM.
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Great job! Nice Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Solid red! Good job on making a bad cast work lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Beautiful red, got to love those blue tails. Looks like one of the pieces my wife sales.

Attached Files
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Nice work and thanks for the report. Better Sunday than I had.
          "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Nice work partner!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkyourcroaker View Post
              I slept in Sunday. Wandered down to the boat stall in the rain. Tinkered with the boat; organized my tackle. I put the boat in about 10. There was a flyfishing and skiff meet up in Bayou Vista I planned to attend.

I went out in Jones and messed around and then into the DC looking for any decent water (there was none). While drifting along chunking soft plastics I kept hearing some bait crashing behind me. I saw some reds cruising the shoreline, eased over toward them and was fortunate enough to have one come close enough for a cast. I picked up the fly rod and laid out a flying mess of fly line, leader and fly. I got just enough of the heap out in front of the red to mend up the mess and roll cast the fly a bit closer. A couple of strips and he took it.

I went to the fly fishing meet up and passed a good time. 8 or 10 skiffs, rod demos and a casting clinic by Steve Soule.

I got home before the rain came back.

JERKY,
              How do you like that large arbor reel? Why that instead of regular?
              "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Thanks for the interesting story . Nice work with the sight cast red !
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thanks for the interesting story . Nice work with the sight cast red !
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Not sure what happened to post that twice . Just padding my post count .. HAR !

Comment

Beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing.
                      Go Astros!!

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                        JERKY,
                        How do you like that large arbor reel? Why that instead of regular?
                        Kenny, I fish a TFO Mangrove 8 weight rod and the reel is a Ross Momentum. I have a couple of Ross reels for freshwater. Their saltwater reel is rated pretty well for durability and drag and the price isn't as high as some of the other brands that are in vogue of late (Hatch, Nautilus, etc.). It's also made in SW Colorado which for me was important.

I tend to fish with a lot of line out and the biggest benefit I have seen of the large arbor is the ability to reel up slack quickly and get a big fish on the reel instead of playing it by running the line through your fingers. I trust the drag more than my touch. I landed a 20+ pound red on that setup in Louisiana in February.

The only downside I have seen in the TFO Mangrove is the ability to cast large, heavy flies at a distance. It is a great rod for picking up and laying down a 30' or 40' cast with no false casts (what it was designed for). Chucking weighted clousers at 40' to 60' takes practice - lots of practice. If I had it to do again, I might get the 9 weight TFO BVK, a faster rod with more ability to chunk big flies.

JYC
                        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Working...
                        X