------baffin bay--------

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ------baffin bay--------

I Headed down to Corpus last Wed afternoon for two days in Baffin Bay with Capt. Jesse Arsola. My brother in-law, his banker, and I made the trip. I have only fished Baffin a few times and it always seems to have a totally different feeling about fishing those sacred waters. As if, every cast could be the one!!!!

Before the report, I must say a few words about Capt Jesse.
    As a coach myself, I have always been kind of a why guy, well, Jesse was a wonderful coach, he answered tons and tons of questions I threw at him over two days. I have fished with wonderful guides over the years, some that can find you fish, some that teach you how to fish and fish areas. With out a doubt, Capt. Arsola is the complete package, he works hard to find you trophy trout, teaches if you ask, loves what he does and it shows. He also wants every big fish returned for another fight.

Thursday, water temp in the high 50's great visability, low barometer, overcast 53 degrees, light winds from the nw changing all day but light.
    Absolutely a perfect day in Baffin without wind and no boat traffic.
    The first hook up was at 8:10 by my brother in-law Kevin, a 20 inch fish (dink), the next fish caught was again by Kevin 10 minutes later 25 1/2 that weighed 6 lb. Within 15 minutes of Kevin's, I lost the fish of my life that came out of the water and rolled and spit the bit, I was shocked at the gearth of this fish when she came out of the water and saddened I only had her on my line 10 seconds. I picked my head up with high hopes of another chance and it being early in the day. The next fish caught was a nice redfish by our Capt. and around 11:15 my chance came back, a 6 1/2 pound 25 3/4 inch beauty, needless to say, I got shaking knees and trout fever after I got her on the boga. Brian caught a nice red and lost the trout of his life before noon. We loaded up and headed to the Badlands for the afternoon, we caught some fish but nothing picture worthy.

Friday, we had the same conditions except the barometer rose and the sun came out, Jesse caught a flounder and a small trout early on our first wade, It was too nice of a day and the bite was gone, it was like turning off a switch, we grinded it out in 5 or 6 different places to no avail. The water was perfect, gin clear in places. The last place we stopped had some bait and within 15 minutes of being in the water, I caught a 25 1/2 just shy of 5 lbs, the only fish caught since Jesse's earlier that morning.

Thanks Capt Jesse for all

Pics to follow

Baffin Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

a few more pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Great report and Awesome pics Neil.....I would be beside myself with jealousy if I weren't so happy for you!
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Glad you had a great trip Bud. I'll be off of my Monday schedule soon.

Comment

Excellent report. You just never know what's going to happen this time of the year in Baffin. I have two trip's lined up at the end of this month. Hoping for that 30"+ trout.
            A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Nice report Neil
              Capt. Thomas Barlow
              281-827-6815
              www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

good report and pics
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Neil, great report and pictures, and really nice trout you got. Baffin is soooo fine!

Comment

What a great trip! Nice catch. Flapper and I are headed there this weekend coming up. We hope to havhe success you didi!
                    TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Sounds like you all had a great time down there! Thanks for sharing. Nice fish!
                      Scott
                      "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Nice report Neil. Jesse besides being a great guide and teacher, is one heck of a great friend as well. I got a call from him just this morning asking how I was.
                        I'm very stoked that you got to experience Baffins allure. Your updates were great while I.was in the hospital and I really appreciated them. Maybe we can make it happen next year
                        ..with Jesse of course.
                        Don't be a Nancy!
                        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I fished with him b4 and look forward to doing it again... Got my personal best that trip!!
                          "Team Waist Deep"

Comment

Great job Neil!! I'll be headed there myself in 2 weeks looking for a new PB.
                            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Great report and great pics! Glad you guys got on em!
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X