1996 225 johnson ocean runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 225 johnson ocean runner

i have a question i would like to increase the performance of our offshore boat. it is on a 23 foot 1996 proline.It averages about 1 mile a gallon i think it can do better than that.The top speed we can reach wide open on a calm flat bay is about 34 mph and in pretty choppy water it goes about 29 mph we have a 4 blade prop on it. i know it can go faster and run alot smoother if you have any suggestions please feel free to post thanks a bunch.
    Itching To Be Fishing!

Do a carb job on it and try a 3 blade prop. You'll lose some of your holeshot but you'll pick up some top end speed. Also try backing off of the throttle some to find your "sweet spot."
    Last edited by 007; February 8, 2010, 11:44 AM.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Ditto

Words of Wisdom from 007
      Fishwhisperer

Comment

That 3.3l Looper you have has TONS of potential!
        Just remember when doing those carbs, be very presice, those loopers are funny.
        If you look at a looper wrong, you will burn it up!
        If you need any help, let me know.

Comment

You can kit the carbs but let someone with the right tools syncronize them. Been there done that. After I had them sync'd it ran like a champ.
          Beandaddy

Comment

All the above-get rid of that 4 blade also. 4 blade is for bay/shallow-3 blade is for speed. I had a 225 rude on my 23' Robalo and top end was about 40-43 mph, so sounds like the 3 will help some. Carbs-yep-take their advice about cleaning/synch. I now have twin 115s and top at about same as old 225, but twins weigh more also. I don't think 34 mph is far off complete or total top end for a 200 hp on that heavy of a boat. What's the rpm reading at full throttle?
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I had a 23 Proline with a 225 Yammy.. My average burn was 1.6, 1.8 if I kept it cool on the throttle, Your motor may actually be on the brink of extinction.. Check your compression before anything.

WOT for me was like 40 Knots and 30 Knot cruise. Three blade prop as well.

Comment

well if your lookin for more top end AND better mpg.... 3 blade prop with a good cup, rake and right pitch. although the 4 blade pops the boat out of the hole and stays hooked up better it dramatically reduces the pitch of the prop, and pitch is the measure of foward movement for example when a 17 pitch prop makes a full turn it moves you forward 17 inchs hope this helps

Comment

4500 rpms
                  Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by only lures View Post
                    4500 rpms
                    You should be able to get another 500-800 RPMs over that.
                    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

What are the specs on your present prop?
                      You need to prop that motor to spin 56-5800 with a light load.
                      I can spin mine 6200 all day with just me in the boat, when I'm loaded down, I get right at 5700..

Comment

Working...
                      X