radio wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio wiring

I am installing a sterio on my boat. The wiring diagram shows yellow wire to battery and red wire to the ignition switch.
    Can I just run these 2 wires together to the battery?
    Should I put a fuse on these wires?
    CHASIN REDS @ THE $$$$MONEY HOLE$$$$4
    WRECK EM TECH

If you run a + & - to the battery the player will NEVER turn off (unless) you have them run through the Perko switch. That way you can kill all power during weekdays & storage etc.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I can not run it to the ignition switch. What about putting to red wire to a toggle switch?
      WRECK EM TECH

Comment

That will work. You'll just have to flip the switch to turn radio on.

Comment

yes put a fuse on the + to the battery.
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

On the wire to the toggle. Do I run a wire back to the +? Or how do I get juice to the toggle?
            WRECK EM TECH

Comment

Originally posted by RED RAIDER View Post
              On the wire to the toggle. Do I run a wire back to the +? Or how do I get juice to the toggle?
              Juice to the toggle should be available either on a fuse panel block or bus bar. that's stubbed out near console. You'll just need to wire it in somewhere with a hot lead and ground it.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                Juice to the toggle should be available either on a fuse panel block or bus bar. that's stubbed out near console. You'll just need to wire it in somewhere with a hot lead and ground it.
                I am adding a toggle. So there is no existing wiring or fuses. I guess I should have said that before.
                WRECK EM TECH

Comment

The yellow wire is your station and clock memory-run straight to battery but put an in-line fuse on it just in case. The red MUST be fused-it is the powrer lead to the radio-use water tight, in-line fuses, not the cheapo twist or screw ones. Also, paint ends of fuse holders with liquid electrical tape to prevent corrosion. Mine (red wire) is hooked into my main panel "ON/OFF Switch" so when in lift, radio light/face is truly off and not lit up even though radio is "off". The yellow lead will draw almost no power from your battery. Hooking yellow to battery switch will work, but each time you switch to OFF or another battery, you will lose stations/clock time and have to reset them.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

On your toggle switch (like my on/off switch on dash) run a negative black wire to battery ground and a red/positive to battery positive and tie in the fused red wire from radio to toggle positive "out" tab and tie negative from radio to toggle's negative "out" tab. Check for continuity to make sure ya aint crossed a lead (+ or negative). Should be pretty dang simple and take about 20 minutes total.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Make sure You put in a swith to turn it completly off. I had one with it wired direct and just the digital clock would drain My batteries if I didn't use My boat often enough. And they were good batteries.
                      Beandaddy

Comment

this is as basic as I can find...

Comment

thanks for the help guys,
                          WRECK EM TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X