state park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state park

finally recieved an answer about whats going on with the state park from tpw:

Mr. Stone,

First let me apologize for the delay in response. E-mail enquiries are routed through Austin Headquarters and I personally just received this today.

Living on the island and being familiar with the park, you realize Hurricane Ike was like no other that ever struck the area in that it literally destroyed a majority of the facilities and infrastructure at the park. It is premature to determine the associated costs or when the park will be restored, however, strategic planning and initial cleanup has begun.

The gulf side of the park received catastrophic damage, destroying all camping areas, headquarters building, portions of the road system and all underground utilities. We are currently working with contractors and FEMA to acquire estimates for removal of the facilities and infrastructure and are working with design teams in Austin to draft a new master plan. Our next daunting task will be acquiring funding to provide the cleanup and rebuild.

The park did reduce staff, however, maintained a skeleton crew to provide security, volunteer coordination and clean-up. For now, the crew and volunteers are focusing on the bay side of the park with a goal to restore limited public use by this spring. This will be contingent on continued volunteer support.

In mid October, we did work with the Galveston Bay Foundation to coordinate 200 plus volunteers to assist with cleanup on the bay side. The group did make a visible impact with the debris removed.

I agree that Galveston Island State Park is extremely popular and one of a select few across the state that actually turns a profit. For the fiscal year 2007, the park generated $1,166,000 in revenue and had an operating budget of $751,500.

If you would like to visit the park and meet with the staff, you may contact Hans Haglund, Park Police Office/Project Manager. If you have any further questions for me and would like to discuss personally, do not hesitate to contact me by phone or email.

Sincerely,

Justin Rhodes

State Parks Division

Region 4 Director

281-471-3200 ext. 223
    Boats and hoes.

Caz- Get with them and give him my e-mail coe@fishwestend.com and CC me on it or whatever tell him our club will help in whatever way possible to assist in clean ups and debris removal...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

will do
      Boats and hoes.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

If I read this correctly the park is closed until spring. I have an annual pass. I guess that means the bay side roads are closed, we cannot park nor yak fish. Correct?
          Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Why not lauch at Pirates and paddle over there? The only bonus I see to having a pass is that you don't have to have a saltwater fishing license...

Comment

Gisp

I saw some folks loading those picnic tables into their trucks -the picnic tables that were from the park and washed up along 3005-I should have written down their plate numbers and turned their plate numbers in-but I thought maybe they were with the park folks-regardless I should have written down their plate and turned them in -the TPWD folks could have used those picnic tables.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
              X