When not to Kayak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When not to Kayak...

Don't go out on a Kayak when the river is above flood stage...

This poor guy looked to be using all his power to get back up to the launch the current was going at least 5 MPH plus.

We passed him as he was headed in he waived and then we saw him again at the launch he had just finished loading up as we were putting the last of the straps on the hull & motor.

Turns out it took the guy 90 minutes to get 800 yards (up current to the turn off). Talk about slow going! He was worn out I felt bad and told him he should have waived us over to lend a hand or get him back to the ramp. We slowed down as we initially passed him we waived he waived and gave us a I'm OKAY thanks and we motored on... 2 hours later were pulling up to ramp and he's just finished putting Yak on his roof.

Don't be afraid to ask for help fellas!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Poor dude, almost reminds me of some folks fighting ship channel currents trying to go after those big uglies.

If possible, try to start your trip going up current. That way at least you can get back.

Also, current is weaker right near the bank (some times you can even find an eddy to help you), so go fight it there.

Comment

Damn, I would have given up. I agree, you need to ask for help, don't be hard headed.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I've always been good at planning the currents right, except once and I knew when to quit and call for help.

The wind always seems to switch on me or blow from a direction it wasn't suppose to blow. Still not as bad as a 5mph current.
        Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

What about launching your kayak at 3 am in New Bayou at 2004 and paddling out to mouth of new bayou then catching an out going tide when you decide to leave. Holy crap what cahones!!! My buddy told me he pulled a yaker back as far as the concrete bridge with his boat because the tide was ripping out and the guy could hardly gain any ground. I have been up that bayou that far and it is spooky as all get out even in the day time. I think I even heard a banjo and a squeling pig. lol

Comment

Working...
          X