Black Eyed Peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Eyed Peas

Hmmmm. Well after the split pea soup, I had to do these. They've been sitting in my kitchen since Katrina. Mom had gotten them for a New Years meal that never happened. They moved back to N.O. Since I unpacked Bada's crock pot on Friday, it's been going non-stop. It's so cool to be able to cook while I sleep.

Soak black eyed peas for 24 hours

Throw in crock pot with 4 pieces of salt pork and 1 ham hock. 3 bay leaves, 3 fresh sliced jalapenos, one finely chopped onion, 2 chopped celery stalks, 4 chopped garlic toes, about 2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper, a leetle liquid crawfish boil, 1 beef bouillon cube, and a sprig of rosemary. Cover with water and set on low heat. Cook 20 hours.

Add Tony's almost to taste, you're going to cook with the lid off now and let it boil down. Don't want it too salty. Add 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes and 1 lb sliced andouille sausage. Let cook on low with lid off 4 hours. Ladle off some of the fat. It ain't good for you, neither is the salt pork fat floatin' in there. All the meat has fallen off of the fat by now.

Mmmmmm a melange of wonderful flavors. Can you believe Yankees use these for cattle feed? Silly Yankees.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

i'm pissed now.... i drove from surfside to bay city and i missed this
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Yeah, I thought it belonged in the recipe section, but I reckoned I'd get some conversation going on it first. Sorry y'all.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I'm not usually a big fan of black eyes but it sounds like this recipe might change my mind!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

gonna def have to try.. i love my crock pot
          Boats and hoes.

Comment

That recipe sounds good. I will have to try it.
            Why put off doing something today, when you can do it again tomorrow. LIKE FISHING!!

Comment

Working...
            X