New to Saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Saltwater

I'm new to saltwater fishing and would love to get into wade fishing (I'm boat-less). I've checked out a few spots for wade fishing; like the State Park 9 Mile road, and a few others. I'll be honest it's a little intimidating just walking off into the ocean for the first time, so I have yet to do it. Any tips you could give me? I think I've got an allright set up, a 6 and half foot rod and a few lures from Texas Tackle Factory. Thanks for any help you could give this newbie.

Welcome aboard......There are a few other Aggies around here that can help you out!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Welcome! Plenty of waders here to show you the ropes.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

welcome& enjoy
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Welcome

The best thing you can do for yourself is read , read and read some more. There are alot of wadefishing maps, articles and reports that will guide you on your way to safe and enjoyable wading.

Galveston has alot of area's that are available to wading.. The best ones being sportsmans rd, and the state park this time of year.

Just remember to be safe out there and think about what you are doing and where you are doing it
            Capt. Thomas Barlow
            281-827-6815
            www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

Texxan1 is spot on... You really need to hook up with someone to go out with you... IMO... I'm sure no one would turn you down on a invite... This board is full of guys that sleep in there waders just waiting on the call... LMAO
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Welcome Aboard!
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Texas Aggies, I am an Aggie as well and can hook you up with some tips and spots to hit. Private message me and we can get together sometime.
                  LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Awesome stuff, thanks! I would definitely go out with some people sometime. How much time do you guys normally allow for? Now that the days are getting longer and daylight savings is coming up soon I was wondering if I would have enough time after work.

Comment

Welcome Aboard!

Comment

Fellow Ag here too. Also relatively new to the scene, but I have a boat

PM we can try to set something up.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Take your time, pick a spot from those already mentioned, take your time some more when you get there. One of the best things you can do as a wader is learn the water you fish, with your feet. All 3 of the primary species that are fished for in Texas will use the structure to their advantage, so knowing what's there will help with every future trip. Keep in mind that if you are new to fishing, you may find an area like Sportsmans frustrating. Most of that area is shell, some is tricky to walk, all most all of the area will try to rob you of lures.

When you get to an area to fish, move slowly, try to take note of baitfish activity, and make lots of casts. Make mental notes of the things that you see and depth or structure differences that you find. At some point, they will become part of the holding or ambush structure that a fish will use to find food.

I agree that you will find ample voluteers to help you get started. There are way too many anxious and very helpful anglers here, and it's to all of our benefit. Good Luck and enjoy!
                          http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Explorer and Fishhead I tried to PM. hopefully you got it

Comment

I got it and replied with some suggestions on wading gear and baits to use. Did you not get it?
                              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Working...
                              X