Building your own Fishing lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building your own Fishing lights

Below is an article I did last year before finding "West End".

I got to talking with two old timers that used two different techniques to have light to put up and fish with.

Depending on what pole you mount the lights to you can mount these in your boat like I do on a piece of galvanized pipe at 7 to 8 feet high depending on how high you can reach to do the fine tuning of the lights in your boat or on shore. I tried pvc the first time and it worked well from short but had too much movement on the water.

You could take this and change it up to mount off your pier since the 64's are a little cheaper than the stadium lights.

One side note one guy had a set of lights mounted off the back of the truck. attached to his hitch so he backed in and set them up and went to fishing,

Key thing not well discussed is what size generator do you need to push two lights. I have an old 1990 Honda generator rated at 2200 ( now they are rated at 2000). This is the smallest that you can push two lights and I have one 1000 and one 500 watt bulb on my mount. The reason is each 1000 watt bulb pulls about 8 amps and the little generator is rated at about 15 for general use. I have been told that you could push the generator and start one bulb and a minute later the other but some of the better fishing at the pass came off the smaller bulb one night.

Think about how many and what wattage of lights you want before you pick up a generator. Remember 1000 watts equals about 8 amps even if mounting them on your pier you still need the right wires and breakers.

Lights and cans came from Cheaplights.com and I built my own setup.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...highlight=jimd
    Last edited by JimD; February 28, 2010, 08:53 AM.
Working...
X