Where to Hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Hunt?

So in doing some research, I've found areas West of Chocolate are a no hunt zone because of Brazoria County or some wildlife reserve... Besides this one what other reserves and no hunting zones do I have to be cautious of say from Freeport to Anahuac area? Isn't there a place North of I-10 that you can get into trouble out in upper Trinity etc.?

Thanks for the help!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

anyone have maps or links?

Comment

I only know of Brazoria NWR which has closed zones off hand. Basically all around Christmas Bay, Christmas point etc and select areas north of the ICW is legal to hunt, you can look on their website on their map. I know on Anahuac NWR you can hunt, but I dont know where you can or cannot hunt, never been out there. Be careful, it is very fine line you have before you are on private property out in the marsh. Just because it has water at high tide DOES NOT make it public, and especially with your new rig, navigable waterways dont apply! My best advice for refuges is to check the maps and call if neccessary. I have an Anahuac map at the house and dont have time to look right now, maybe later. Good luck!

MM
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Most of Anahuac NWR is closed due to damage from Ike. Portions are opened now and more will be opened on Dec 13th. For more info go to:
        http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges...c/hunting.html

Good luck.

MM
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

What about Wallisville area?

Comment

????? Where is that?

Semper Fi!

Comment

North of I-10

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...21904&t=h&z=13

Comment

Ah, just found it. I have heard the hunting can be good out there. Always known it as "Old & Lost" due to the rivers. Basically anything right off the rivers is gonna huntable, just dont get too far back up in there and make sure you are out of city limits and a good was from any houses/buildings etc. I think quite a few people still go back in there. I have never hunted it but have always wanted to try, just never time or a need to go to a new area. Like I said, anything right off of a major river or bay that is navigable at mean(average) tide with an average boat is probably ok and well argued in court if that so happens. Not a reason to hunt illegal and claim ignorance, but if its an honest mistake and you are near the river and you have 18" of water, I'd say you are probably ok. hope this helps.

MM

Semper Fi!

Comment

Also, the best bet anytime you are hunting a new area that is unknown or "iffy", call the game warden. They can answer any questions you have and are usually very helpful and will point you in the right direction to a good, legal hunt.

MM

Semper Fi!

Comment

There is also San Bernard NWR, I think it is south of Freeport a little bit. There site is either down or not working, cus I couldnt open it.

Semper Fi!

Comment

Also, another tip, personally I would stay to the west of Houston. That whole Anahuac area really got hammered by Ike and from the reports I have been getting, it has been really slow over there, with the exception of some leases more inland around I-10 (Winnie, Beaumont, etc) on the rice fields. They are having a knockout season because Ike destroyed so much marsh land that the birds have few places to go other than rice fields and stuff. From what I can tell, the heavy salt inundation killed almost all marsh grass out there. It might be starting to turn around now though, but I am planning on staying west this year.

MM

Semper Fi!

Comment

Thanks MM I'm looking to get maps of all the places then overlay google maps ontop of what they provide to find huntable areas vs. not so huntable

Comment

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges...rdHunt2005.pdf

Here is the link for the regs and exploded map on San Bernard. You can get a more detailed map off of their site.

MM

Semper Fi!

Comment

Working...
                          X