Winds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winds

Does anyone know what the ideal winds are for fishing XMAS bay, and what area, or even better does anyone know if it is a good idea to go there tomorrow or the next couple of days? Thanks.

Southwest or Northeast wind turns Drum, X-mas, and Bastrop bays into mud.
    I was down there yesterday and the wind was coming from the SSW about 12.
    It was a mess.
    I've seen it go from clear to muck in 3 hours.

Things clear up pretty quick when the wind comes in from the southeast.
    Usually takes about a day or two to clear.
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Moonpie nailed it with the wind direction.
      South shoreline holds plenty of reds but they can be hard to find...once you do find them, stay with them. I like the areas that get water from church hill bayou on incoming tides. Lots of reds and flounder will sit around the openings of the various drains. The water does need to be up though and I haven't been back there since all the water left the dog gone bay in March. Once he tides get back to normal I would focus here. North shoreline I think holds the prettiest water in the Galveston Bay system. I'll drift it ever so often and pull some fish out. Arcadia reef area is real pretty water as well...haven't had as much success in there but somehow always end up throwing some in there...good luck
      sigpic

Comment

you don't want to fish X-mas....there aren't any fish there.....they turn back around at churchhill bayou and head back to west bay....
        Don't follow my boat......I don't catch fish......

Comment

X2 on what moonpie said X-mas is a muddy mess on a good north wind but if you get in some of those bayous around there you might find some decent water color in some spots.
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Moonpie is dead wrong...so is reeltime for that matter.

I've had some awesome days in a hard (20-30 mph) northwest/southwest, northeast/north, west wind days. It seems i can never get em good in there though when the conditions seem right.

Clark08 is pretty much right on the money...seems like the only fish in there are mullet, hardheads, and the odd flounder. You're better off to fish at Seabrook.
            "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Oh, i thought Clark08 was kidding, itd hard to tell sometimes. I will lookup Seabrook to and see what that is about. Thanks guys you are all real helpful.

Comment

There is no fish in x-mas bay... Seabrook flats are the place you want to be... Alligators, rattlesnakes, stingrays with flesh eating bacteria’s, alligator gar that will eat you alive, man eating sharks & high toxin levels... The water is always murky... That’s just a few reasons to stay out of x-mas... There are more reasons than that... Thats just to name a few... LOL... There is no such of a thing as ideal wind... I caught fish with the wind out of every direction... The key is to go and don't be scared of the wind... OR you can sit on the couch eat cheatos and read my reports from x-mas... I like that idea better... Over and Out
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

yea what he said
                  the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Yeah me too!!
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Well i have waded the south shore line and have caught limits of snaggle tooth freckle fish and mud suckers within several hours.... u just gotta find where they r holdin..... oh..... and love a nasty........N A S T Y...... mud bottom..... its alot work wadin christmas...... still lookin for info on some sand bottoms n there... do they exist????? lol
                      if i dnt catch dinner, i will catch a buzz. it works out!

Comment

Originally posted by young gun View Post
                        Well i have waded the south shore line and have caught limits of snaggle tooth freckle fish and mud suckers within several hours.... u just gotta find where they r holdin..... oh..... and love a nasty........N A S T Y...... mud bottom..... its alot work wadin christmas...... still lookin for info on some sand bottoms n there... do they exist????? lol
                        No it’s all mud and soot...
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                        X