3-27-2010, east matagorda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-27-2010, east matagorda

Saturday, I meet Ron Johnson and his friend Dan at Charlie's Bait Camp at 7 AM on Caney Creek. Dan motored in his Explorer and I had mine. We headed to the Catchall Basin area and bailed out with lots of bait around. It was a beautiful day, partly cloudy to sunny, water read 65.5 degrees on the boat, S-SE winds 6-17 MPH, lower in the morning and picking up in the afternoon, but decent water visibility 8-12 " , 86 degrees air temp, and a seemingly all day outgoing tide . A major feeding period at 10:30 AM and a minor feeding period at 5:30 PM. We thrashed that shoreline with artificials moving shallow and deep and repeating without result. Finally, Dan took his boat and drifted the mid-bay reefs and I took Ron west looking at the oyster reefs and Kain Cove before settling in for a wade at Hog Island. Hog Island didn't produce anything but a foul hooked in the tail stingray for me that got wrapped around my leg for a while before getting untangled and unhooked- insert nervous laughter here. We met up with Dan around 11:30 AM still drifting the mid-bay reefs and did the same until a little after noon. Dan had picked up a 22 " red while we were gone. They had to leave to do some honeydos and I bid them ado . Ron is on the left and Dan on the right in the boat.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

END

I then explored the bayou that cuts through the island that is between the ICW and Live Oak Cove, and checked out Shell Island before heading to a spot I had marked on my GPS as the Oyster Farm Bayou on the south shoreline not knowing what else to do since every place we had been had not produced. The left side of the outfall is shell in one foot of water and had mullet and finfish busting the surface with a flounder every so often all the while I was there. I waded up the bayou, and to each side where I got hung up on shell and then settled in at the mouth casting in the gut towards the bay which was about 4 feet deep. My chartruese Norton Sand eel Jr. eventually got hung up on the bottom while popping it hard on a 1/16 oz. jig head and letting it fall. But, picking it up I found it wasn't hung up , but, I WAS ON, hooray finally !! I played that fish out carefully until it was belly up as it was the only fish I had all day. A nice 23 " trout was on the stringer !! Now I was encouraged and started concentrating as that late afternoon moonrise bite was on. Soon I had another taker which was a 22 " redfish. I hooked and lost 2 trout after a brief 3 second bow- up each- not hooked deep enough. The bite slowed and I switched to a pearl/chartruese fat boy working it fast subsurface with pauses. After a while , I was startled to attention by a big blow up on that fat boy, but no hook set- a body slam by a trout a least as good as the one I had on the stringer. Anxiously I cast out again and had a heart stopping repeat geyser blow up without a hookset. I kept casting , but that fish was spooked and gone. Finally, it was getting late, and I fired up the Yamaha and got back to Charlie's at 6 PM. I fished East Matagorda Bay March 6,7,8,and 9 with 3 guys the first two days and 3 other guys the last two days with one 16 " trout , a flounder and a few reds to show for it. I didn't post it up because there wasn't much to tell. From my March experience in East Matagorda Bay, it's been tough !! Has anyone a comment about their March fishing in East Matagorda ? RON and DAN , a pleasure to meet you !! Good guys. Keith, we 4 have to go give it another try soon !!
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Plugger,

I hit East Matagorda three days in March as well and, with the exception of a few sand trout from the river channel (family trip), came back with skunks. I took Reeltime on one of those trips and he managed to loose one trout over Raymond's Landing and foul hook one really wierd fish in Live Oak. Thank God that April is upon us. I'll be back at it this weekend.

Txrex

Comment

Yes sir we will get into something once I get back from yankee land... I meet some good people here New England... But I would rather be marinting my lower half in some saltwater ANYDAY... LMAO
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Hey Henry good report it's been tough over there in east matta as txrex said.Henry are we still on for the may 22 trout tourney at topwater grill.
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Nice report Henry...as always

Comment

Nice report Henry, still looking to fish with you some time.
              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Good report Henry.....This has been a tough winter for us all!....I sure hope we have seen the end of it.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report Plugger! Thanks!
                  Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Plugger i think you missed your calling!!
                    you should have been an outdoors journalist!
                    great report and photos as always
                    Captain Glenn Stevens
                    Coastal Guide Service
                    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Thanx for the nice report, Bro" - enjoyed the read and pix as usual.
                      I probably should run them by Mom, though, to be sure you are telling the truth!

Jigr

Comment

Working...
                      X