Clear All

• East Bay - Apr 3

Wind: Light, variable
    Tide: Slack low; weak incoming
    Water Temp: 68-71 deg F
    Water Clarity: Green with 1-2 ft visibility
    Water Depth: 2-4 ft
    Bottom: Soft mud/scatter shell; hard sand

I waded the south shoreline with my brother on Saturday, and we had a blast.

We arrived at our first spot right at 7a and were greeted with calm winds, fog as thick as soup, slack tides, and bait.... lots of surface bait. With the water temperature reading 68 degrees, we didn't have to ask each other what we were going to throw first. We've been working this pattern long enough that we've developed mental telepathy... he knew that I knew that a topwater was going to be today's only weapon of choice.

We hopped out of the boat with SuperSpook Jrs tied on the end of our lines. I made my way to the shallow mud flats while he stayed deep. I would say that I ventured about 30 yards from him (just far enough to where I could barely make out his silhouette in the heavy fog) when I heard that familiar sound that seemed to deafen the splashes of the surrounding nervous bait. It was a trout blowup... nothing big or overly aggressive, but a welcomed indicator of Spring's true arrival.

I think James strung two 17" trout before I got in the groove. I usually start off with a slow cadence but it became evident that these trout wanted to test their speed after a colder than normal winter. No sooner than I picked up the pace of my retrieve, my topwater was snatched under the surface... another 17" trout. For the next 30-45 minutes, this action continued. We had 7 keepers between us and too many blowups to count.

Thinking that the grass is always greener on the other side, I eased my way down the shoreline to the mud/sand transition and my brother followed suit. This is where we found some bigger fish that gorilla stomped our baits... 'East Bay style'. In rapid succession, we strung a few 19-22.5" trout, a 24" red, and a 29" behemoth (photo, released).

We moved to a couple more spots but due to the sheer number of boats on the water, we didn't have many available alternatives. We fished the same mud/sand pattern and finally called it a day at 1p after picking up a couple more fish. We ended up with 13 keeper trout and 2 reds.... all on topwaters.

Spring has finally sprung.... tight lines!

Here are the pics...
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice fishing ,Sounds like a good trip.
      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Great fishing, thanks for the report!

Comment

Nice. We are gonna brave the winds out there today.

Comment

Nice job,congrats
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice job,congrats

Comment

Good going, thanks for the report

Comment

Great report! Thanks
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice, i like that first pic.
                    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Nice catch...........WTG
                      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Put me on that mental telepathy path you guys have going. It obviously works! Great job.
                        If we don't leave any, there won't be any.

Comment

Very nice report and fun read with great results....congratulations and thanks for the report !!
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great report and even better red! Thanks for sharing, I am ready for WEST BAY to turn on!!! Frustrated with all the wind and lack of action the last few weeks!
                            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Working...
                            X